Fantasy football - 1st round

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by lsu99, Jul 22, 2013.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

The sports world is a little slow right now so starting to think about how the 1st round of upcoming fantasy football drafts will shake out. My two leagues give 6 pts for QB TDs so quarterbacks are always valued a little more.

Some of the potential 1st round picks would be:
    QBs: Peyton Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers
    RBs: Peterson, Foster, Ray Rice, McCoy
    WRs: Calvin Johnson

There are a lot of other QBs, RBs, and WRs that I could list but not sure if they are worthy of 1st round picks.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Well I believe most leagues give 6 points for QB Tds and in my opinion this is the deepest draft for QBs in the last few years.

There are certanily at least 12 QBs who I could have and feel confortable starting all year. So in a 12 man league I am not going to waste a pick in the 1st 2 rounds on a QB. I might wait until the 10th or further if Wilson, Kapernick, Flacco, Eli, Luck are still on the board. Maybe even grab my backup the very next round.

On the other hand RB class looks weaker than ever this year and in my league you can start 2 or 3 each game. I am going to go ahead and stick to my plan of picking Rbs with my 1st 2 picks and maybe even 3 of my 1st 4 picks. Grab a WR in 3rd and 5th and so on. If it is a PPR league than I will switch this method up with WRs instead of RBs.

I always benefit in my drafts from guys snaching up QBs in the 1st round. You can almost bank on at least 4 QBs going in the 1st round and maybe even Cam to make 5 and then the rest of the guys get worried that they are off the board and they need to grab theirs and draft a QB in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I love it because now that everyone besides me has their starting QB on board they will not pick up their 2nd until the very late rounds. So I can just sit back on snack on all the RBs and WRs and nab someone like Eli, Flacco, Kapernick, etc... and a backup very late. The only way I will nab a QB in the middle rounds is if someone like Cam, Wilson, or Ryan is still their floating around.

This method only applies if you are not in a league that allows 2 QBs to start which are ridiculous anyway or if QBs are given bonus points for long passes, etc... If you are in a 10 team league there are more than enough QBs to go around.

KyleK and Cajun Sensation like this.
  3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Depends on your commissioner, our TF league gives only 4 pts for TDs and subtracts 2 points for interceptions, so scoring 20 points is doing well for a QB in that league.

In a league where the QB scores a lot of points, all those QBs will be gone and you will be picking up someone like Cutler or Palmer in the 3rd round. Good luck with that Bhelm.

4. bhelmLSU

DO it every year and haven't missed the playoffs yet and won a couple. Go look at the top 12 QBs. Cutler and Palmer aren't in there. I ended up with Eli n the 8th round last year and landed Luck in the 14th. 2nd round of QBs didn't start going off the board until the 10th round. Wilson wasn't drafted.

5. bhelmLSU

Here are roughly the top 13. So one of these would be a backup. I could live with any of these as starters minus Romo. Great in fantasy stats but I can't trust him. Still have starters like Dalton, Flacco, Vick, Rothlisberger, Schaub, Rivers outside the top 13...The difference in points between these QBs throughout the season isn't drastic. THe key is matching up RBs and WRs which account for 5 of your starters which is usually the difference between each game. Palmer likely wont be drafted, rated at are after top 24.

Brees
    Rodgers
    Brady
    P. Manning
    Newton
    Ryan
    Stafford
    RG3
    Romo
    Luck
    Wilson
    E. Manning
    Kapernick

6. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Things can always change, but planning to draft two non-elite QBs this year. After the top 6 QBs on bhelm's list, who would be the best of the rest?

I also think Cutler could have a big year. Coaches that have a much better understanding of how to run an NFL offense, Brandon Marshall is still an elite talent, and I just read that Alshon Jeffrey is vastly improved after working out with Marshall during the off-season.

May target Schaub as a backup. His value is currently low. I think he played through some arm issues late last year. Andre Johnson is still going strong and the rookie Hopkins will bring another dimension to the offense.

7. bhelmLSU

I would think RG3 assuming healthy, Wilson, and Luck are the next on the list. At least I feel that way. I am biased toward Romo but he is always steady in fantasy. Eli was awesome in fantasy to start the year but took a small dip to end the 2nd half of the season. Stafford, Kapernick, and Flacco are middle of the pack guys who have the potential to blow up but not sure how consistent they will be throughout the season.

8. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

My favorite league gives 5 bonus points for QBs that rush for 50+ yards and/or 300 yds passing.

Not sure if the rush bonus will come into play much for RGIII with the injury. Not feeling as good about Wilson as other do, especially with Harvin's injury.

Thinking Kapernick may be worth getting as one of my QBs if available late. Stafford may be my favorite of the rest.

9. bhelmLSU

I am aiming for Luck in the 7th or 8th.

10. bhelmLSU

oh and just looked back at our league from last year and QBs did get 6 for TDs