Fantasy Football: Who to Start/Sit

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by chewie, Sep 17, 2011.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I would go Eli. He will have a busy day. At worst he would be playing from behind and throwing all day. Stafford hasn't shown much this year.

Ravens...

2. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

I'm not sure who to start in my flex spot this week. Right now I have Mike Williams (v. Jets) in because I know he will be part of Tampa offense. My other two options are rookies I am excited about but don't know how they will be used in Game 1 - Kenny Stills (v Atlanta) and Giovanni Bernard (v. Bears). I think I have a pretty stout lineup (Cam Newton, Doug Martin, Steven Ridley, Victor Cruz, Dez Bryant, Greg Olson, Broncos D) so I might be able to risk using one of the rookies. But my opponent this week is pretty strong also. Who would you play in that flex spot?

3. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Mike Williams or G. Bernard, either will work. Both are going against "good" defenses. The jets have a good secondary, and the bears are good against the run. I would stay away from Stills, you could get lucky there though. I would personally go with G. Bernard, I like his big play ability.

M Williams is a TD machine, but will he duplicate that this year.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

You go with Williams if you are a conservative player who likes to know he is guaranteed some points. Williams will give you minimum 4 catches, 55 yards type production and maybe more, and then the decent chance at a touchdown as well. If it's a ppr league, that's 9-10 points in your hip pocket.

You go with Bernard if you are a risk taker who feels like a great game from him puts you over the top in your fantasy matchup.

Look at what happened with Montee Ball this week. A lot of people started him and he was a dud coming out the gates. He isn't trusted on 3rd downs because he has issues in pass protection. He only got action when they tried to run the clock out and he failed to do that (3 carries for 8 yards in his first series of the game, Denver had to punt).

Bernard is in a bit better shape in Cincy as he is 2nd in the pecking order (vs Ball who appears to be 3rd in the pecking order behind Hillman). He looks electric and can probably do a much better job catching the ball out of the backfield. Dalton is one of the worst QBs in the league when it comes to throwing to his RBs. He completed only 42 passes to his backs all of last year. We will see if Bernard can help out in that department. I still think Green-Ellis gets the majority of the rushes, or at least half of them. I am not enamored with the matchup vs the Bears on the road.

Suggestion: Williams.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  5. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

And the winner was M. Williams, he got the expected TD points. I didn't get to watch the cincy game but what little I saw on Red zone the Law firm was in, Bernard only 3 points. The first game is always the hardest to call. I expect over the season that Bernard is going to be the better play. M. Williams is going to feast or famine with the TDs.

6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

My team sucks balls. Just a sampling of players I have.

1. Amendola - what a friggin joke. i knew better but got him for cheap
    2. Jermichael Finley - Is he still alive or did that hit kill him?
    3. Trent Richardson - what a giant pile of worthless ball sack. I actually traded Demarco Murray for him after week 2. Beautiful!
    4. Matt Ryan - He sucks this year. I mean really sucks. He had a few good games early but hasn't done anything of late
    5. Steven Jackson - What a brilliant buy that was. Christ I had no idea he was so old.

All my sleepers missed and vinateiri didn't even get on the field to attempt a field goal or PAT last week. It's been non stop this year with bad luck. Hope everyone is doing better.

7. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I'm in 2 leagues.

The 1st league (I'm commish in) I am in 2nd place at 6-4 (yes, it is a VERY competitive league) looks like this:

1. Andy Dalton- I put him in after the ATL WRs got hurt. Originally drafted Matty Ice WAY too early
    2. Knowshon Moreno
    3. MJD, Donald Brown, Mike James (yeah, I know they all suck but you'll see why)
    4. Jimmy Graham
    5. Vernon Davis
    6. Megatron
    7. Gronkowski (in this league, WRs and TEs are basically the same....you can start 3 TEs instead of 3 WRs if you want)
    8. Zeurlein
    9. Raves D

Vernon Davis has a concussion? No problem....I'll plug in Gronkowski. My issue is the 2nd RB spot.

My Yahoo league looks AWESOME on paper, but I'm in 6th place at 5-5

1. RGIII
    2. DeMarco Murray
    3. Reggie Bush
    4. Adrian Peterson
    5. DeSean Jackson
    6. Dwayne Bowe, Percy Harvin, James Jones, Case Keenum
    7. Mason Crosby
    8. Colts and Rams

Both leagues are 12 teams. 2nd team shown (yahoo league) has a flex position.

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I am in a very competitive league as well and we have strict rules on how many of each position you can hold on a roster to keep the waiver wire from being bare. Have to hold 2 QBs, 2 TEs, 4 or 5 RBs and 4 or 5 WRs (Max of 9), and 1 or 2 DEF and 1 or 2 Ks (Max of 3). Makes it very competitive that way and always thinking of lineups down the road instead of plug in play. Can only start one TE, QB, DEF, and K. 2 RBs and 2 WRs with one flex that must be RB or WR. Non PPR.

I have been a trading fool trying to bulk up my roster for Playoffs. Currently at 6-4 but 3rd overall and I have scored the most points so far.

Current roster:

QB: Cam and RG3 (Picked up RG3 off waivers 2 weeks ago, WTF)
    RB: Charles, McCoy, Zac Stacy, Shon Green (Drafted CHarles and McCoy in 1st and 2nd round at pick #11, another WTF) Traded for Stacy with Waiver Wire RB Andre Brown
    WR: Fitz, Nelson, Terrance Williams, Kendall Wright, Roddy White
    TE: Tony Gonzales and Heath Miller
    DEF: Bengals, Jets (Picked up Jets for this weeks matchup)
    K: Gotakowski

Tiger Fan Roster PPR: 3rd Place at 6-4

QB: RG3 and Keenum
    RB: Bush, Bernard, Spiller, Andre Brown (Great set of PPR RBs, well Spiller was in theory but haven't started him since week 2 or 3 until I had to and he went off that one game this season)
    WR: Green, Decker, Allen, Desean Jackson
    TE: Gronk and Bennett
    DEF: Carolina and Baltimore
    K: Hartley

Cajun Sensation likes this.