Fantasy Land: With whom do you replace Miles?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Nov 15, 2015.

1. CaryLab

CaryLab Founding Member

Mike Gundy should be up there. Not real high on Chip Kelly but would be fun to watch the offense. Kirby Smart with an equally good OC.

2. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I would start with James Franklin- excellent coach who can recruit to Vanderbilt. I think he would leave PSU.
    Kirby Smart would be my second choice. Great DC, who understands Saban.

The others, in no particular order:
    Fuente from Memphis. Depsite losing two in a row he is doing a great job.
    Chris Peterson is doing well at Washington.
    I doubt he leaves since it's his alma mater, plus he is a future NFL coach, but Stanford coach David Shaw.
    The coach for Utah, can't remember his name.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Wittingham

ThePhenom74 likes this.
  4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Mormon who has spent most of his career in the state of Utah... Not going to happen.

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

1. Tom Herman - he's been at big time programs (Ohio State OC last year), knows how to develop QBs (Miller, Barrett, Jones, and the one he's got this year at HOU, and he can recruit.

2. Kyle Wittingham - I don't think he'll leave Utah

3. Justin Fuente - he's had success with mediocre talent at Memphis and he's found and developed a stud QB. He won't be at Memphis for long.

1 and 3 are the most viable. There may be others that would be a better fit, but I think Herman is the best choice right now. I think he could continue the tradition of LSU getting the best athletes in La. and he's got his recruting contacts in Tx, particularly the Houston area. He has the potential to be a difference maker.

LSU_4_LIFE and LSUTiga like this.
  6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yeah the tunrnaround at memphis is pretty staggering. i remember saying they were the worst program in d1 footbal just a few years back. they lost to that tom herman fellow by a point. houston had to score 21 in the 4th. both these guys seem to have something worth paying for.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Okie State has a lot of money to throw at Gundy, unfortunately. They will not let him leave.

Chris Peterson would be my first choice. You couple that guy with a legit DC and you're going to win multiple championships. And he would certainly leave Washington for LSU.

Herb likes this.
  8. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Money aside, like with Shaw, I don't see Gundy leaving his alma mater.

Good call on Herman Fanatic.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Kirby Smart would be my first choice. If you can't beat em, hire em. That's what Alabama did.

10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I disagree. I would love to have him as a coach, but it took everything Washington had to pry him away from Boise St. I doubt he would move cross country.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't be upset by it. I just think he's too loyal to the Gumps to jump ship to another SEC West team. Besides, the Gump's coach is the real DC at Bama. I'm sure Smart has picked up enough from him over the years to implement it elsewhere, but having the student ain't the same as having the master.