Father day flatties

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Jun 22, 2015.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Once all the Father's Day festivities wrapped up (which was kinda minimal since wife and daughter both think they have strep throat so me and the boy are keeping a little distance) and kids were asleep saw the calm wind and had to get in the water. Started at 10:30 limited at 11:40.
    [​IMG]

2. jvalhenson

3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Holy crap!

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

jval, do you ever come across stingrays when you are floundering? I got stung in my leg once and it was a really bad experience.

5. jvalhenson

Yea they are around. Just do the biloxi shuffle and ain't gotta worry about em. Plus with floundering using a light in shallow water you see em anyways. They are more of a problem wade fishing where you are waste deep not lookin at the bottom. My dad got stung in the arch of his foot once at horn island and said it was the worst pain he ever felt but if you just put the stung area in hot water the pain goes away almost instantly. Have a cousin too who got killed by one. We were shrimping and of course it is common to catch them in the nets. Got a little to comfortable with em and we would just grab em behind the eyes and sling em over. Well somehow when he grabbed one and went to sling it it whipped around and stung him in the lower back and he was dead in less than 30 minutes. Got a lot more cautious handling them since then

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It was the worst pain I ever felt. I was in water a little deeper than ankle deep walking back toward the beach. I didn't have any hot water and I didn't know about that trick. When shimping I use a trick my Paw Paw used. Carry an ice pick and then you can just stab them and throw them overboard.

7. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I carry a bottle of meat tenderizer for rays. Works on jellyfish as well. Worst case, you can piss on the sting. Urea neutralizes the venom. Hot water is a close 3rd in treatment as it lifts the venom, but does little once it gets in a muscle.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The sting was in the back of my leg just above my ankle.. Would have been physically impossible for me to do it and I'd rather endure the pain than let somebody piss on me. I think there was an episode of Friends where Monica got stung by a jellyfish and Chandler and Joey pissed on her.