Father of slain Service Member ordered to pay Westboro Baptist Church court costs

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Krypto, Mar 31, 2010.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

also i dont understand this story at all. he sued them for picketing? picketing is not only not legal, it is a vital and integral part of america. why did he sue? you cant sue people for having free speech. maybe the ruling makes sense and he should pay them.

it should also be noted that these are the folks tht carry signs that say "god hates fags", which is of course true according to the bible i have read. not sure what that has to do with military funerals though?

edit: i read the story and i side strongly with phelps.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Judges Richard D. Bennett, Dennis Shedd, Allyson Duncan and are Republicans nominated by Bush. Robert King is a democrat appointed by Clinton but they all seem to agree.

Maybe its a tort-reform thing.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

yeah, they are the ones who think that god is punishing soldiers because Americans are becoming relaxed on the issue of homosexuality.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

well, considering that most of the christians in the world believe i will burn in hell for all eternity for denying that jesus is christ is lord, it isnt very surprising. burning in hell forever is way worse than having your son's funeral picketed.

again, all christians should feel terrible shame and embarrassment for believing what they do, and for having any part of the miserable sack of **** that all religions are.

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

because of phelps and his actions tho, more municipalities are passing laws to make it illegal to protest within a certain distance of a funeral. dont know if there was such a law here, but i suspect not. i think some states, such as oklahoma, have even looked at the issue. they arent saying you cant protest at all, just not within a certain distance of some things such as funerals.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

He sued the church for invasion of privacy and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Those are perfectly valid causes of action.

You really should stick to subjects you are versed on.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

that sounds like a very complicated case for the supreme court.

intention infliction of emotional distress? i am not buying that one. thats part of life, people are *******s. you just have to deal with it. you should not be able to sue them.

politics aside, the one thing we ought to all be able to agree on about bill 'reilly is that he is an insufferable pompous blowhard. one of the least charming people i can imagine. just excruciating.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

At their son's funeral? Sorry, that's over the line. One day they will choose the wrong funeral and get what's coming to them.

True, but when it comes to charity, he puts his money where his mouth is.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

i figure a better solution than suing them for emotional distress is simply beating them up. surely any jury will let you walk on charges of beating up those idiots.

although i guess they relish the attention and would love it if you beat them up, so there is no real solution. sometimes living in a country that allows freedom of expression can really suck, but what ya gonna do.

10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

It's like my 9yr old son said to me today "People are getting crazier every day".