Father of slain Service Member ordered to pay Westboro Baptist Church court costs

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Krypto, Mar 31, 2010.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

You may be on to something. I said it before in another thread about these kooks, but I'd like to see the gays (especially the flamers who really throw their sexuality in other peoples faces) picket their church before/during/after a Sunday sermon. Wonder how that would go down.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I bet if the father of the fallen Marine would have killed one of those idiots he could have gotten off for being temporarily insane.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

a couple of years ago, some airman who had just gotten divorced went crazy and killed himself and his two little girls in base housing here. given it was a military member and two children, the westboro cult couldnt pass up the chance to picket a few days later. more than a few members of the community counter picketed them. for the most part it was just screaming insults at each other from across the street in front of the base while waving signs. but i guess one guy for the counter picket got a bit upset and did something, i cant remember what. i dont think he hit the cultist, but caused some sort of "disturbance" and got arrested. i guess the local police didnt want it turning into a free for all so they jumped in on the first sign of trouble. the local judge basically slapped him on the hand with a bit of a fine and said "dont do it again". he had to do something cause there were so many witnesses, but he made sure it was damned lenient.

im waiting for an 18 wheeler to take out a mess of em when they travel in one of their vans to picket someone. unintentionally, of course. ya know, tragic accident.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That would be a horrible tragedy. Do you have any idea how expensive it is to repair front ends on those big trucks?

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

no doubt, and anyone who has ever hit a deer can vouch for this, its really hard to get blood and guts out of your grill, and undercarriage, and what if one of those sticks from the picket sign gets lodged into your vehicle.

Seriously though, people should start picketing when their church members die.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Picketing a politician or protesting at a government building is free speech.

But I don't see how disrupting a private funeral isn't disturbing the peace at the very least. Considering the sentiment against them it could be considered inciting a riot.

If the police dispersed these troublemakers with pepper spray each and every time (for the safety of the general public), they would soon find some place else to protest.

7. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

that is pretty much exactly how i feel. There are limits to freedom of speech. I believe this is one of them. I am not saying they can't say whatever crap they want, but saying in this manner and in this situation is wrong.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

way off topic, but....

i flew out to vegas to get my vehicle then drove home. while going through the mountains in arizona, i was amazed to see elk crossing signs because i am used to deer crossing signs. not long after we saw a sign, we also saw a dead elk by the side of the road. not much further was a semi pulled over with the driver surveying the damage to his rig. it had obviously just happened. my eyes bugged out when i saw the elk cause that thing was mf'in HUGE! looked as big as my vehicle to me!:eek:

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

the word i learned today is "ruminant".