Favorite Condiments

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Speaking of the fridge, how many of you keep ketchup in the fridge? I keep mine on the shelf at room temperature. Nothing I hate more than dipping a hot french fry into cold ketchup.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I am the exact opposite when it comes to Ketchup. I actually prefer a lot of things cold like pizza, wings, shrimp, etc...

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

As a spin off thread (or maybe in this one), what about sauces from restaurants? I used to stock up on the Cane's sauces (or Bailey's when it existed) back at LSU and use for frozen foods and sandwiches. I used to enjoy a simple toasted BLT with the sauce from Cane's.

My wife realized recently that McDonald's discontinued their Hot Mustard sauce, which I think was one of the original sauces when McNuggets were invented.

I use Chick-fil-A sauces (Polynesian and the somewhat newer 'Chick-fil-A sauce') for frozen foods such as Taquitos and Fried Shrimp.

There's also a Thai place that I go to every once in awhile that always gives me lots of different sauces and I always find ways to use them for other purposes.

4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I keep mine in the fridge. I don't eat cold food much like bhelm but it doesn't bother me for a hot french fry to be dipped into cold ketchup. Just like it doesn't bother me for a hot burger to include a cold tomato/lettuce/pickle.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The only difference between Bailey's and Cane's was that Bailey's sandwiches were on Texas Toast bread and Cane's is on a bun. What did Bailey's in was their location. That corner of Highland Rd and Lee Dr is hard to get in and out of in traffic.

6. bhelmLSU

I know what did them in and location may have been part of the reason but the main reason was terrible employees. I knew some of those jokers…They would accept drugs for payment and for a little nugget you could leave there with a large bag of chicken and another of fries. You could feed a small village with all the goodies. Did the same shit every night.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I prefer hot shrimp but I like cold boiled shrimp. I don't like cold pizza at all and its rare that cold chicken isn't dried out and tough. I can also eat cold crawfish. It makes a good salad.

8. bhelmLSU

I agree on shrimp and crawfish. Chicken is usually doused in ranch or blue cheese so dry doesn't bother me. Forgot cold pasta dishes. I don't each much of the stuff I have listed anymore unfortunately…

9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I make a Canes Sauce all the time.........

1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
    1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Some put Paprika in this, I don't, if you like it use 1 tsp

Generous amount of black pepper (cover surface two or three times and mix in)

Put in the frig. I put it in tupperware, I shake it everytime I open the frig. Needs to mix over a couple days.

10. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I've heard the same thing but didn't know it back then. I much preferred Bailey's and part of the reason was that our 1am drunken trips would sometimes result in more chicken fingers than we could even eat (i.e. extras for free).

Yes, the location was not the best. Late at night though, it didn't really matter with no traffic around.

LSUDad likes this.