Favorite Condiments

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Jun 28, 2014.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

They were very generous stoners. It amazes me that everyone knew around town that Bailey's was the place to go to get extra and for illegal exchanges but the owner didn't or didn't care.

2. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Maybe he didn't care much until it became too well known. Stoners are usually generous. I've had many friends ask for me to chip in for booze (everybody's got their cup, but they ain't chipped in) but I don't ever recall a stoner asking for something in return (back in the day).

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I make my own sauces frequently but don't think I've ever come very close to the Cane's sauce. I'll give this a try sometime soon.

I'll probably grill some hot dogs at some point over the weekend. Maybe I'll try this sauce with some relish and onions?

While on the subject of hot dogs, I had to run to Sonic recently for one of the kids and noticed that they had a cheesy bread (think pizza) bun for a hot dog with some kind of garlic parmesan sauce and onions. Looked like one of those things that I need to try once (and maybe only once).

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Thats very similar to a sauce I came up with for a shrimp salad. I didn't measure it but I just put some mayo in a bowl and added ketchup until it was pretty pink and then added fresh crushed garlic. Its also good for dipping

LSUDad likes this.
  5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If you go through a bottle every week, its fine. But if you keep a bottle of ketchup hot for weeks it can get rancid. Beware of eateries that put out squeeze bottles of ketchup on the tables. They add ketchup to them every day, but if they never wash them out there will always be some rancid ketchup in the bottle which makes the rest go bad fast.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't use a hell of a lot of ketchup but I buy the small size bottle

7. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

It was too well known for years...Maybe he didn't care because it was a front for his other business. lol

KyleK likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Ketchup facts:
    Ketchup and catsup are simply two different spellings for the same thing, a modern, Westernized version of a condiment that European traders were introduced to while visiting the Far East in the late 17th century. What exactly that condiment was and where they found it is a matter of debate.
    Ketchup and catsup are simply two different spellings for the same thing, a modern, Westernized version of a condiment that European traders were introduced to while visiting the Far East in the late 17th century. What exactly that condiment was and where they found it is a matter of debate.

It could have been ke-chiap from China's southern coastal Fujian region or it could have beenkicap (a Malay word borrowed from the Cantonese dialect of Chinese, also spelled kecapandketjap) from Indonesia, both of which are sauces based on brined or pickled fish or shellfish, herbs and spices. Whatever it was, the Europeans liked it, and as early 1690, they brought it back home with them, calling it catchup.

The early Western versions of the sauce - which, starting in 1711, was sometimes calledketchup, another Anglicization of the Malay name popularized in the book An Account of Trade in India - were pretty faithful to the original Eastern ones, with one of the earliest recipes published in England (1727) calling for anchovies, shallots, vinegar, white wine, cloves, ginger, mace, nutmeg, pepper and lemon peel. It wasn't until almost a century later that tomatoes found their way into the sauce, in a recipe in an American cook book published in 1801. In the meantime, another alternative spelling popped up, mentioned in a 1730 Jonathan Swift poem: "And, for our home-bred British cheer, Botargo [a fish roe-based relish], catsup, and caveer [caviar]."

The tomato-based version of ketchup quickly caught on in the U.S. during the first few decades of the 19th century. At first, it was made and locally sold by farmers, but by 1837 at least one company was producing and distributing it on a national scale. The H. J. Heinz Company, a name that's synonymous with ketchup for most people today, was a relative latecomer to the game and didn't produce a tomato-based ketchup until 1876. They originally referred to their product as catsup, but switched to ketchup in the 1880s to stand out. Eventually, ketchup became the standard spelling in the industry and among consumers, though you can still find catsup strongholds sprinkled across the U.S.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

When I was a kid, I put ketchup on everything. I even dipped my granny smith apples in it, which now seems very odd to my adult self. My eldest son eats a lot of ketchup, on just about everthing except apples. We got him one of those "I put ketchup on my ketchup" shirts a few years ago.

Ketchup also reminds me of that lame joke Mrs. Mia Wallace told in Pulp Fiction.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I tried to find the old Far Side cartoon of Ketchup bottles at a movie but:

It is difficult to find many The Far Side cartoons online, since Larson, his publishers, and his lawyers have successfully persuaded people not to infringe on his copyright. Larson wrote a widely distributed letter in which he explains the "emotional cost" to him of people displaying his cartoons on their websites and asks them to stop doing so.[

One strip features anthropomorphic ketchup bottles are at the movie theatre. The gag is that they're watching a horror film, in which an on-screen ketchup bottle is broken and oozing in the street. A father bottle tells his son, reassuringly, that "that's not real ketchup" in the film. Of course, in real life ketchup can be used as fake blood, hence the joke. This stops being funny, even by Gary Larson's morbid standards, when you think about it for awhile and wonder what they're using INSTEAD of ketchup.
    • Wait, what's so morbid about strawberry jam?
      • Stage blood. Nobody uses ketchup in film or theatre.
    • If it was ketchup, the father could have been lying.
    • Red nail polish.
    • Strawberry syrup is used sometimes in movies.