Favorite Condiments

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Jun 28, 2014.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

It's rare that we agree on food, but is there anything better than butter?

ETA: And Tony's of course.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    LSUDad and CajunlostinCali like this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Bacon. When I eat pancakes and bacon I love to rub my bacon in the maple syrup and melted butter. And I know that its good for me. :eek::)

Don't you hate it when you eat breakfast at some place and they only have margerine and not real butter?

LSUDad likes this.
  3. StaceyO

It's real butter or nothing.

shane0911 and LSUDad like this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Waffle House doesn't have real butter. You would think they would because their specialty is waffles. Their syrup is also pretty bland and tasteless. IHOP has some kind of whipped spread that I'm not sure whether there is real butter in it or not but it tastes better than plain margerine. IHOP also gives you a selection of syrups that are pretty decent.

LSUDad likes this.
  5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I went fishing on long canoe expedition in Canada several times in my youth. There or more weeks in the wilderness, eating a lot of fish, but limited in the gear we could portage with the canoe over every ridge. No room for iron pots, peanut oil, corn meal and such. Mostly we had pan-fried blackened walleye and trout filets and we grilled pike on a open fire and put butter and Tony Chacheres on them. That and salt were all we carried for condiments and all we needed.

tigerchick46 and StaceyO like this.
  6. StaceyO

I went on an 8 and a half-mile canoe trip on the Kings River in Northwest Arkansas last month. I can't imagine a long canoe expedition. It didn't help that my husband kept over-rowing our canoe into the river banks and trees. Suffice to say, it was not a good bonding experience.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

How did you keep the butter from going rancid?

8. red55

It was Canada. It wasn't hot weather and lake water is cold. Salted butter lasts longer, especially stored in tupperware away from air. It doesn't go rancid instantly. It's still edible after a few weeks even if it has lost some color and smell. People have had food for many millennia before they had refrigeration. They had fewer issues with eating food that was only slightly after its prime. On long trips in warmer climates, margarine in squeeze bottles works better and is less subject to contamination.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

So the cold water kept the beer and cokes cold without having to have ice? Or were there towns where you could go to a store and replenish your supply? What did you eat if the fish weren't biting? MREs?

10. red55

Towns, beer? Dude, it was the Canadian wilderness. Quetico Provencial Park, which is 6,000 square miles set aside for canoeists. No roads. No motorboats permitted. No float planes can land there. No stores. No nuthin'. You paddle and pack and go wherever you want to. We ate fish every day and drank lake water. We had some staples and dehydrated foods to supplement the fish, two bottles of scotch and a bag of weed. But the fishing is great, they are alway biting. Some of these lakes you have to paddle two weeks to get to and they get fished only a few times a year. They are teaming with fish and they will bite any lure you put in the water. Landing a 10-pound pike on an ultralight reel and a telescoping pole in a canoe is like landing a marlin in the gulf.