Favorite restaraunts off the beaten path

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by MCab, Jan 13, 2011.

1. MCab

MCab Founding Member

What places have you discovered to be completely out-of-nowhere holes in the wall that served incredible food?

Hillbilly BBQ in River Ridge (Jefferson Parish), behind the Triangle West Bar on Jefferson Hwy is probably one of the most underrated restaurants out there. Small place, won't serve a huge party, but the food is incredible. And I'm a BBQ snob.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Tasty Casian on Essen.

Everything on the menu is good and great prices.

Most get he huge noodle bowls and spruce it up to their liking.

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Chickie Wa Wa on Canal. opens at 5 pm. good food and music.

Home

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

There used to be a pizza joint under Washington Plaza in Monroe that served the best pizza I ever ate in my entire life and that includes at such legendary establishments like Pizza Uno in Chicago and Grimaldi's in Brooklyn Heights.

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

really off the beaten path for y'all is a place here. lol

i cant remember the name of it because it has been through several different owners, changing decor and menu, but always asian, mostly thai. usually thai with average chinese thrown in. always decent to mediocre. the place is in a run down strip mall and is not only easy to miss, looks like nothing special from the street.

but the latest incarnation is thai, and probably the best thai i have had in okc. and there are a lot of specialty thai items on the menu, including a dessert i have not seen here at all, and havent seen since a thai rest in dc. i love mango with sticky rice, and they have that when fresh mango is in season. i make it some but its nice to finally see on a menu.

plus, whereas most thai places here are dumbed down spice/pepper heat wise, this place knows what hot is.

i really hope this place stays in business. the food is fantastic, and the decor is nice. but the prices are very good also.

6. Pontius Pilate

Pontius Pilate Veteran Member

Little Saigon on North Sherwood

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Dong Phuong Oriental Bakery. In a rough section of New Orleans East off Chef Menteur Hwy. Fabulous food. I'm talking refined pallet, food snob, top of the line eats.

Crawford's on Starring Lane. Only place I will eat catfish in Baton Rouge. Not as good as it used to be, but still better than every other place in town. Odd hours.

Bergen Bar and Grill in Windon Minnesota. Best steak I have ever had. Located exactly in the middle of nowhere. People will make the three hour drive from the twin cities to eat there on a weeknight. That good.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Pinetta's is not really off the beaten track, but I'm always surprised at people who have lived here for years and never knew about it.

9. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I used to love Pinetta's. I have not been there in years though. Not since the owner change years ago.

10. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Not really off the beaten path but Mammy's Cupboard just south of Natchez, MS on US 61 is pretty good. They just have limited hours and a little pricey but the food and desserts especially are good. I like drinking the lemonade out of a jar too...Def a place to check out just to say you've been there