Federal Court Rules Schools Can Protect Their Colors

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, Aug 1, 2006.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I could see if they were using the schools name or logo but the T-shirts I've seen in this post should not be a problem. Aren't these PUBLIC universities? When did LSU become a private corporation?

2. medtiger

medtiger Founding Member

If anyone is a copyright lawyer, what are your views? None of us know anything about copyright law or what this decision actually states and means. I personally believe that this company was trying to be sly and circumvent licenses, which should be punished.

3. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

This is where I think it is fair. The SMACK shirts, though i love them, all but name the university but everyone who's a potential buyer of the product, knows what it stands for, so, these school want to protect their stuff. the school colors are offical and belong to the school. So where your purple and gold shirts, as long as they don't reference anything that has to do with LSU.

BTW: Check out SMACK's new motto

4. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

ok, so I was in a sports law class a year ago and we talked to a guy in the athletic office about this. IT does not prevent you from going out, making a shirt and wearing it. For example, the LSU shirts with the S as a superman. What it does is prevent you from going out and selling the shirt without having it properly licsensed. The logos and colors and etc. are used to make a profit. The schools have standing because the idea is that you are making money because of the school or the relationship of the product to the school, and the school has the right to protect its trademarks,etc.

5. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Not to split hairs, but it's a trademark issue.

Who cares, though. The "smack" shirts normally suck anyway.

Like the shirt that TigerWins posted:

"Baton Rouge -- a drinkin' town with a football problem"

I guarantee if you're wearing that, you're either homeless or a hopeless jackhole.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

With Breaux?

7. PodKATT

PodKATT Time to Put Your Pants On

Of course, the easy way to get around this is to use a color that is just a shade different (like the many shades of purple and gold on this very page). If they want to copyright a specific set of colors, thats fine, but they better specifically state which shade of purple and gold is theirs.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Don't you think they have?

Pantone purple PMS #268 and gold PMS #123

http://www.lsu.edu/pa/identity/colors.html

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I think the issue is if it is sufficiently close to where people know which university the product is referring to - it doesn't have to be exact.

10. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

yeah breaux, don't know if they still offer it cause of the lack of funding for it. I got lucky and the decided to offer it that semester.