Few facts with Iowa compared to LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MarineTiger, Dec 23, 2004.

1. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I am not an LSU football player so I have no diea, but having read quotes of Utah players and UF players when Spurrier left. Often players dont play for someone who just bailed on them. Remember Saban pumped these kids with his dedication speeches, play for 60 minutes, no I am not leaving for the NFL even though "Insert name" said so, I am staying at LSU, for the last 2 years. Since LSU is so young they see a coach who just bailed out on them... At least thats what I think will happen, what pressure do they have, they know at the end of the game Saban will give his "I had to do whats best for me and my family speech" and the players wonder what the future holds for them.
    Sounds stupid, but thats the word on the street how both the Pitt and Utah players are feeling right now.

As Daniels said, hopefully they play for the name on the side of their helmet and lay it all out on the line. BUT I can see these kids just hoping to get it over with Saban leaving and they can move on with their own college careers, most of them are no different then us, they have no idea what the future holds now.

3. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

A Lou Holtz story (summarized):

5 star recruit: "Coach, if I commit, do you promise to be here for my four years?"
    Holtz: I have no plans to leave, but let me ask you something. If we win a national championship while you're a junior... and you've been picked as a first team all-american... and you have been advised that you will be a first round pick in the pros, will you stay for your senior year?"
    5 star: "That would depend...."
    Holtz: "Son, let's both enjoy our time together!"

I think most recruits see the big picture.

4. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

When LSU won their title in 1958, Iowa finished second.

Trying to find out if Iowa wore black in their 2001 Alamo game against Texas Tech.... if they did then the Hawks are 22-1 when wearing black dating back to their home loss to Michigan in 2001.
    In their only loss since, the Hawks were up by 20 at halftime and lost. (bad memory, very bad memory)

5. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Hawker, I see in 1958 you tied 9-0-2 Air Force. Where did they finish?

6. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

1. Louisiana State
    2. IOWA
    3. Army
    4. Auburn
    5. Oklahoma
    6. Air Force
    7. Wisconsin
    8. Ohio State
    9. Syracuse
    10. Texas Christian
    11. Mississippi
    12. Clemson
    13. Purdue
    14. Florida
    15. South Carolina
    16. California
    17. Notre Dame
    18. Southern Methodist
    19. Oklahoma State
    20. Rutgers

7. FloridaHawk82

FloridaHawk82 Founding Member

From all reports, the LSU practices have been very good and focused. Iowa fans, coaches, and players fully expect LSU to be prepared and to play a great game.

I know it's not D1, but I have a similar experience. I played D3 ball at Central College in Pella, Iowa back in the mid-80's (yes, I'm old!). We were D3 National runner-ups 2 straight years, and our coach was being courted by several 1-AA and D1 programs. We were genuinely excited for our coach to have the opportunity, and EVERY player was loyal to our team, school, and especially each other, no matter who the coach was.

Our coach ended up staying, but if he had left, we would have still given 100%... that is what football PLAYERS do.

LSU has football PLAYERS, and my opinion is there will be zero let down in the Credit Card bowl.

9 days till kickoff!

8. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Props to the Hawkeyes.

Look. No excuses from me if we lose.

I can't think of the game right now. I spend all my days and nights worrying about my coach. Don't judge me too harshly. I know that I have a problem.

I'll get better someday.

The Iowa Hawkeyes are worthy opponents. If we can't win the game, at least we'll know that we lost to an outstanding team from a great state like Iowa.

9. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Home team or visiting team, the Hawkeyes would be wearning black since LSU nearly always wears white. Got It?

A little LSU tradition primer for ya, Hawk fans: giving the home team the ability to wear white as long as the visiting team agrees to it is a rule chance that dates back to 1995 and ex-LSU coach Gerry DiNardo. DiNardo, in one of the few good things he did while in Baton Rouge in addition to opening a nice restaraunt, badgered the NCAA to alter its "home team wears dark jerseys" rule to account for a long-standing LSU tradition of wearing white only at home. Got It?

Besides, you guys look good in black. Reminds me of the Steelers.

10. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

we need to break out the yellow jerseys and white helmets..