Field conditions

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by boblinfoto, Oct 27, 2019.

1. boblinfoto

boblinfoto Ohio LSU fan/artist

I know there was a lot of rain prior to game time, which caused more than a few issues at critical times during the game. My question is, why is there an apparent issue with installing artificial turf? The team practices on it indoors and play on it frequently elsewhere, and some will play on it in the pros, so why not bite the bullet and put it in Death Valley?

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I heard that they didn't tarp the field before the rain because "it was supposed to drain so well" and that because it had been so dry in October the field would soak up the water, After the first quarter the field was a mess. Burrow's left foot slipped on his 4th down QB sneak because of it.

I don't want to see turf because it causes more injuries but they pay a lot of money to the groundskeepers to keep the field in prime condition. It should have been tarped.

COTiger, kcal, el005639 and 4 others like this.
  3. boblinfoto

boblinfoto Ohio LSU fan/artist

Agreed.

4. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

Field-Turf is good, better than any other artificial I think,.. I don't know how it stacks up vs grass regarding injuries

5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I'll bet more than a dollar that Coach O expressed his feelings on the field conditions to the stadium manager after the game.

Bengal B likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

This was a long time ago but I went to a basketball game at the Superdome. The football surface was partially pulled back to make room for the basketball court. I walked across a spot where the turf met the bare concrete underneath. Looked like only about a half inch between the top of the turf and the concrete.

7. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

yeah, astroturf and the like were brutal, horrible

[​IMG]
    the grass fibers are six inches long

we've had it for many years, it's good,.. just replaced it with new last summer

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    HalloweenRun and Bayou Tiger like this.
  8. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

we played on that hard as rock turf they had at Northwestern in High School and in college and we lost multiple players to knees every time we did.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  9. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

the new turfs are amazing and come with all manner of soft cork underbase with rubber pellet fill and soft whatever else. that said i think almost all athletes still prefer a soft real grass over everything. and there is no excuse for anything other than the thickest lushest softest real grass in the perfect grass growing conditions of baton rouge.

not just for softness and leg safety, but natural grass is far cooler because grass has natural evaporative cooling

gynojunkie and GiantDuckFan like this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The grass in Tiger Stadium was grown in Alabama. I have seen huge grass growing farms on the outskirts of Mobile.