Field conditions

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by boblinfoto, Oct 27, 2019.

1. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Well that explains it! Those damn Gumps are contaminating our field! They leave no stone unturned in their effort to gain an edge.

seabrookcajun and GiantDuckFan like this.
  2. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

The issue with field turf is not the quality or the traction, its the heat. Those fields burn in the September sun.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

A long time ago, they used Astro Turf. I remember an interview with one of the players. He said it was like playing on Canal Street. I have walked on the current Superdome field many times. It is like walking on a really thick sponge.

GiantDuckFan and Bengal B like this.
  4. KevinWS

KevinWS Founding Member

There is a part of me that wants field turf for my yard.

5. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

I would be shocked if CEO doesn't have direct control over whether the field gets covered or not. The argument that since it's been so dry they didn't think the rain wouldn't be a factor is ridiculous, that field gets watered whenever it needs it. I guarantee if I would have been in charge of that the field would have been covered until it stopped raining or the teams needed to get in pregame warmups, whichever came first. Not having the field playing as fast as possible would work in Auburn's favor not ours. Stupid!!!

COTiger likes this.
  6. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

I'm sure he could stop or implement it but noway he makes those decisions daily. He has too much more important shit to do.

7. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

When I was a youngster, back in the 80's our football team played in the super dome at the end of the season. Back then, the "astro turf" was basically just green carpet over concrete. Worst surface ever in my opinion. Did manage to get me a interception in the game though.

I do hope LSU stays with natural grass as a field surface. Guess we will see.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  8. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

Respectfully disagree. How important is it to have the field in the best condition to help OUR team. No one can tell me that the field condition on Saturday didn't favor Auburn.

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Right, I don't think any stadium in America uses artificial turf anymore, except some real dumps. That stuff ate up more ACLs and killed more careers than anything.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  10. RamahRising

RamahRising Jedi Prophet

I’m tempted too ... But here is the kicker!

You need 2000 psi (lean concrete) slab up to two inches thick (formed up) after Quality soil compaction ... Dynapac rolled is Best

This cures in 28 days ... Then sweepblast to remove L~A~I~T~A~N~C~E and give the adhesive a good anchor ...

Lessons Learned: Most Universities fuck up their Field Turf football fields (Vandy, etc) from failure to remove Laitance By abrasive blasting ...

The adhesive and the turf comes up in a disbond often after just a few years resulting in lotsa serious injuries.

But it’s a ten year warranty deal doesn’t mean that it cannot last longer ... Knock out the laitance and use AMPLE ADHESIVE (no holidays) and you’ll get a 20 year turf ...

Good Luck with That ...

I’m doing a front and side yard in Field Turf in another year or so

watson1880 likes this.