Field Goal (1st quarter)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Playing to win doesn't always mean going for it on 4th down when your O Line hasn't been able to block well enough for a 2 yard gain on the three previous plays. There are times when going for it is the right thing to do. This wasn't one of those times. That three points they didn't get affected the strategy later in the game. If LSU had scored those points they wouldn't have had to go for two when they scored to make it 34-16. The would have kicked the point to make it 34-20. The fact that those three points weren't scored meant that LSU was in the position of having to make three straight two point conversions if they were able to score three TDs.

Well, who woulda thunk it! They did score those three TDs! LSU left not just 3 but a total of 5 points on the table. They lost by 5 points. Football is sometimes as much a chess game as anything else. Sometimes the coaches need to think ahead to the probabilities of various scenarios working out in their favor and make the right move based on logic instead of ego and arrogance.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I'm starting to think Les gets off on knowing the other coach knows what he is gonna do, the old "oh yeah, try and stop me" attitude. I mean there is no mystery. Hell everytime the qb throws his arm behind him to the left, the fullback does too, then they run left. I mean a fucking animal could figure out what the play is going to be. But.... I think Les knows that and he is daring others to stop him. But when it doesn't work its the old "we are going to do this until we get it right, then we are gonna do it some more" mentality.

Play action, hit the fullback or TE going to the pylon we score on 1st down.