Field Turf?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by offshoretrash, Sep 24, 2007.

1. G-LSU

G-LSU Founding Member

Agreed! If i's good enough for Mike VI, it should be good enough for our players!

:geauxtige :geauxtige
    :geauxtige :geauxtige

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

It's not in Tiger Stadium for the same reason people gripe about changes to the uniforms or logos: some people can't let go of old traditions. Once upon a time, what they now consider to be "untouchable and traditional" was once "new and hideous" by someone else.

Personally, I want what's best for our athletes. The new stuff is arguably safer than natural grass. It's perfectly level and stays that way, it gives more than natural grass so it's easier on joints and it stands up over time better. It's also cheaper in the long run because you don't have to paint, fertilize, water and mow it.

3. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

Isn't it impossible to replace the natural grass in Tiger Stadium anyway?

I mean, I've heard that once Glenn Dorsey makes someone bleed onto a surface that surface becomes indestructable. Considering the fact that opposing players begin to bleed as soon as they line up opposite Glenn Dorsey, there is no portion of the field that hasn't been affected by this.

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

4. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

God forbid. This is not an indoor stadium. It is an outdoor stadium and real grass is the only thing a team should play on in an outdoor stadium.

5. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Natural grass is definately safer than artificial turf. I don't know what they're putting under artificial turf now, but it used to be concrete. Whatever it is, its certainly not dirt.

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Just some facts about our grass:

http://media.www.lsureveille.com/me...s/2006/07/25/Sports/Turf-Tested-2133977.shtml

7. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

"If a horse can't eat it, you shouldn't play football on it" - Larry Czonka
    :nope: :nope: :nope:

8. Kandjviz

Kandjviz Founding Member

I am opposed to artificial turf in Tiger Stadium. I like the idea of having a little bit of the field on my shoes when I go home after the game. Its like bringing Death Valley to my house. And by the way if the boss at home didn't have to fuss me about my muddy shoes what would she have to fuss about anyway. Nothing like standing on the North end of the field on the soft turf.:helmet: :geauxtige

9. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

No, natural grass is not. Current turf is not the stuff you used to see the Saints and Colts play on. The turf itself is created with individual blades of grass with sand and ground rubber mixed in, creating a consistency almost exactly like real turf. In fact, it's better because with real turf, the ground underneath becomes compacted and hard. With Field Turf, the subsoil gives more.

There's a study floating around the internet somewhere. Pro athletes almost overwhelmingly prefer the Field Turf when they place a sample of the real and the fake side by side.

10. NELA_Tigerfan

NELA_Tigerfan When's kickoff?

When opposing teams get ground into the turf, we want them to feel it...
    ...hence the grass and dirt.:D