FINAL BCS Question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sos, Dec 17, 2003.

1. sos

sos Founding Member

Can any of you BCS gurus (istsldl?) tell me if there will be a BCS ranking AFTER the bowls? I'm thinking no, but what a bunch of cr@p would THAT be?

Also, while I support thr objectivity of the BCS, and am grateful for the opportunity we had in erasing negative votes because we are Southern and Lousiana (which is a blessing to me), I think that the BCS computers' systems should ALL be forced to publish their formulas. Leaving out such a detail underlines suspicion and casts a shadow on the process.

Also, for you Trojan, er, USC fans still hanging on,

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :geaux: :lsug: :D

2. Golfdude

Golfdude Founding Member

sos, the BCS does not publish a final ranking after the bowl games. The BCS's responsibility is to match-up the best teams for an NC game and sponsor the other 3 big bowls. That's it.....They're done.
    The final "standings / rankings" are the ESPN Coaches poll.

3. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

No, there won't be any more BCS rankings until next October. The
    BCS rankings are used as the official method of determining who
    will play in the NC game (you hear that, USC?). Once that's determined, there's no need to have another one. The final BCS
    rankings for 2003 are Oklahoma #1, LSU #2, USC #3, Michigan #4. That's it.

4. sos

sos Founding Member

...and the AP poll, but not a combination of the two. It would be interesting to see the BCS numbers if LSU and USC won (of course, that is what-if talk because we all know USC will choke like Little Debbie on a King Dong (or was it King Don? I forget).

I believe LSU would be #1. Wonder if there would be any vaule in continuing the BCS through the bowls in the event of a claim for co-champions...?

5. Atltiger

Atltiger Founding Member

Someone ask Rich Tellshow on his Message Board.

http://denim.bbboy.net/rtsbcsmessageboard-viewthread?forum=1&thread=257

Can Rich give us a mock BSC #...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After all the bowls are done. The BCS won't, but the polls are all still there. Why can't we see a post season BCS number? Are you up for it Rich. If not this site is still the best. Thanks again.

Re: Can Rich give us a mock BSC #...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will do.

So he will run the bcs program after the bowl games.

6. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

Mark my words, if LSU and Michigan win, you'll have at least 15-20 voters in the A.P. leapfrog Michigan over LSU.

If Michigan and OU win, you'll have 1-3 voters leapfrog Michigan over OU.

OF COURSE, that will just prove WHY we need the BCS computer system and HOW it worked ASTONISHINGLY WELL this year.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

LSU would be #1 in the BCS if there was a published ranking after the bowl games and if LSU and USC both won. The reason being is that LSU would be #1 in all 7 polls including the New York Times. Oklahoma would be a better SOS (12-1 vs. 10-2) over Michigan. This would have propeled LSU into 1st in the New York times (finally!). So we would have bettered out SOS and USC would have lost their only #1 spot in the computer polls to LSU. On top of that the Coaches poll is obligated and will vote LSU #1, so that would have given LSU about a 1.50 point spread over USC ultimately.

8. islstl

You guys are overboard with the "LSU against the world" mentality. There NEVER has been a situation where a 2 loss team has leapfrogged a 1 loss team in the polls when both teams have won in the same week. I know this is not what you said, but there would be not a single voter who votes for Michigan.

Come on now, let's get back to reality and start thinking with our heads, not our emotions.

9. islstl

Here is your mock BCS:

..............Human.....Comp......SOS.....QW.....Loss....Total
    1) LSU.......1.5.........1.00.......0.84.....-.20......1.......4.14
    2) USC.......1.5.........1.83.......1.16......00.......1.......5.49

Notes:

I projected Georgia to pass Miami OH, and the losers of the Fiesta and Orange bowl in the BCS poll, where they would have ended up 9th, giving LSU a -.20 QW.

Also, I changed my mind about LSU finishing first in the NYTimes poll. Michigan is ahead of OU in that poll, so I think USC would barely hold on to the #1 spot.

Sadly, I am resigned to the fact that USC will hold up the #1 spot in the AP.

The only scenario in which USC would finish 1st ahead of LSU would be for both human polls to vote USC #1, and Georgia would have to lose their bowl game, and Washington State would have to move up from 16th all the way to 9th in the final BCS standings. This would yield USC 4.79 and LSU 4.84.

10. islstl

You murdered my name! I think its time to change it....lol