Final BCS Scoring....OU = 4.94, LSU = 5.93, USC = 6.48

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Dec 7, 2003.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I'll forever remember that massive upset of WV by Pitt. I remember their do it all QB Pat White had a thumb injury and ended up losing a key fumble during the game.

28 1/2 point underdog. Without it, LSU doesn't make it to the championship game.

It marked the 13th time that season a top 5 ranked team lost to an unranked team. Craziest college football season of all time.

I was cheering on Pitt like I was cheering on the Tigers.

The other game going on at the same time had OU upsetting Chase Daniel and Missouri. That was the last shoe that needed to fall and LSU jumped all the way from 7th to 2nd on the BCS in that last Saturday of the regular season.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    TBTrumpet, kcal and ParadiseiNC like this.
  2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I remember it exactly the way you describe. Craziest ever. I was up screaming at like midnight pulling for WVU and OU to lose and couldn’t believe it was happening!

kcal likes this.
  3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Wait, I'm getting my years mixed up. It looks like we started out talking about 2003, then somewhere along the way, it switched to 2007. That was the year Pitt beat WVU and all of the craziness that happened that put us in the championship game. Despite our record, we were clearly the best team in college football that year. Just like 2011.

4. islstl

We were undefeated in regulation, the Les Miles selling point to the voters in the AP and Coaches, lol.

I just remember the sickening feeling of losing to that dumb fuck Houston Nutt in triple OT. Of course we all figured our chances were gone.

Trying to reconstruct the top 7 in the BCS going into the last weekend of football:

1. Missouri
    2. West Virginia
    3. Ohio State
    4. Georgia
    5. Kansas
    6. Virginia Tech
    7. LSU

So of course we jumped Georgia because they didn't even make it to the SEC CG.

We jumped VTech because we slaughtered them 41-7 in the regular season.

Kansas was simply not going to get there either as they weren't in their CCG. Plus they were Kansas for crying out loud. Funny enough Kansas fell all the way to #8 without even playing that weekend.

Ohio State was idle (no CCG back then).

So that left both Missouri and West Virginia to have to be upset for us to get to #2.

USC was #8, OU was #9 coming into the final week.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    TBTrumpet, fanatic and ParadiseiNC like this.
  5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Are you remembering all of this, or looking it up? Hell, I have trouble remembering who we played last week!

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

7. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

That was the worst. I remember being so PISSED at Bo Pellini for not blitzing on 4th and 10 in the first OT. But that's not where they beat us. Casey Dick was the worst QB in the SEC that year and only had 128 yards passing in the game. But it was the 3 headed monster of Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, and Peyton Hillis that torched one of the nation's best run and overall defenses for 385 yards rushing and 5 TDs. We were banged up and tired going into that game, but obviously can't use that as an excuse.

I remember them being pissed about this, but it was laughable since, as you said, they didn't even with their own division, much less the SEC.

8. islstl

So we beat OU to win the championship in 2003, and then OU sends us to our second BCS title game.

Boomer Sooner indeed.

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

We have more games to worry about IMO. It seems coaches will still try and fuck the entire thing up lol.

10. islstl

This is a thread talking about 2003 and 2007 championship seasons.