Final health bill omits some of Obama's promises

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

you know i am all for healthcare reform, but for me, someone who has pretty much supported healthcare legislation, it seems to me like the democrats and obama just want to get anything they can passed, and i guess try and clean up the mess once it goes into effect, instead of putting together a great piece of legislation and have minimal damage on the other end. Because when this thing goes through, the headlines are going to read, healthcare bill passed, and millions of americans who don't have healthcare are going to breathe a sigh of relief and think that they now have free or great healthcare, and that just isn't going to happen. This is more like something that they tried to beat a deadline with.

Its like that credit card bill, we heard all this great stuff about how the government was going to step in and protect the consumer, and that bill didn't nearly live up to the hype. Just like the bailouts, oh the economy is going to crumble if we don't save the banks, lets write them a blank check and let the people who bankrupt this country have some more credit. Thats like giving your money to a heroin addict to go buy you groceries. You may get some chocolate milk back that is half gone, but your money is history.

Obama isn't really helping himself out here in my eyes.

1 person likes this.
  3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Welcome to reality.

4. Sourdoughman

Re-read your post, do you see a pattern about everything government has ever attempted to do?
    Your post should be the reason why you should be against this horrible healthcare plan.
    If they would have gotten it right it wouldn't have been so controversial but instead we will have a government takeover.

NO ONE is against healthcare reform but most people are against Pelosi's and the Senate's plan.
    There is no such thing as free healthcare, someone will have to pay for it!

5. Sourdoughman

This reminds me of when the government raise taxes on corporate America and some cheer, yea.
    What they fail to realize is that ultimately the person who cheered got stuck paying the tax in the end.

6. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

In all fairness, the republicans did quite a bit of this in the last two terms and Bush did not have the strength to stand up to congress. Or maybe he was just a big spending geek too.

But this congress and Obama has done it on nitrous. It's just big govt control, and they didn't really hide it during the election. The fact that so many people ignored it....well, we are paying for it now.

The people are kicking and screaming at the moment, but I have yet to see my generation stand up and really fight for themselves. Not the way my parents did, and the generations before them. I want our economy to turn around quickly but it may be the worst thing for us. It seems we are incapable of shaking out of our american idol lethargy unless we are pushed to the wall. Maybe we can sustain this "awareness" long enough to make a lasting change. And it won't happen in November or even in 2012. It will take quite a bit more effort and time than that, because nearly all of the people in Washington are what's part of the problem, not just dems.

2 people like this.
  7. Sourdoughman

Totally agree, this is the beginning and not the end.
    Yes, both sides are to blame, I think George Bush was a big part of the problem though, you get election results like the last 2 elections when you don't stand up for your foreign policy and you try to act like Democrats when it comes to spending.
    Hopefully the part of the Republican party, McCain will learn from this and go back to conservative values if it isn't too late.
    Just maybe part of the problem is technology, we are too busy playing video games and
    watching reality shows to even slow down and pay attention to the world around us.

8. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Remember the "Mission Accomplished" crap. This bill is just more talk as most of the politicians are.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

excellent post.

i fully agree. it is the fault of both parties. and the fault of some in the middle that cannot look past labels and band together to fight against the two extremes.

but here is where some may disagree with me. i believe there are good people serving in both parties that just truly want to do what is right. there is no interest in advancing their own agenda or themselves in power. those people can be found on the left, on the right, and in the middle. its ok to disagree over philosophy. and its ok to fight over it.

however, its not ok to ram things through with arm twisting, deals, and the objections of the public. and both sides have done that. if a proposal cannot stand on its own merit, and has to have sweetheart deals to make it pass, there is a problem. just as those that expect a deal for their vote, no matter if they support a proposal or not, are also part of the problem.

i am starting to remember why i got burnt out on, and out of politics several years ago. the hypocrisy strangled all energy out of me.

10. spikke

spikke Veteran Member

Lets be clear, this isn’t healthcare reform. Instead, this is an enormous power grab against the will of the American people by the Marxist hijacked government.

What are the implications? Well, Caterpillar has already announced that this enormous power grab will cost them at a minimum $100 million in increased labor cost. Now, Caterpillar is just one large American company out of many that will see their labor cost rise astronomically. Does anyone have any idea how many millions of jobs this enormous power grab against the will of the America people by this Marxist hijacked government will cost us?