Final NCAA SOS Rankings

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Proud Tiger, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

Almost all the experts, pundits and plain old fans have said that the main reason Auburn didn't make it to the Orange Bowl was it's weak schedule. Not surprising, but none of these folks are having much to say now that the final official NCAA SOS rankings have been released. The results:

#5....Auburn
    #11...OK
    #18...USC

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Preaching to the choir, buddy. We're with ya and agree that Auburn's SOS was substantially better than USC and OU.

3. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

Maybe BB but not everyone here has shared that opinion.

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I am still in the school the AU was the best team in the nation last year.
    I dont care what USC did to OU. I also saw USC have the refs hand them a win against UCLA, or beating Stanford late in the game, or Ore State, or ND, or you name it.
    AU dominated everyone but LSU (and possibly Va Tech)

Absurd that OU or USC was ranked higher then AU.
    Roll throught the SEC and you deserve a shot.

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

:hihi: Of course not! The Bowl games are over! No one here care about Auburn any more......unless it's a discussion about beating them! ;) :thumb:

I have a question.... How come LSU/Auburn doesn't play for a trophy? They should play for a trophy either in the shape of a tiger head, or tiger paw. Winner of the game is the "real" tiger for a year! ;)

6. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

"But AU played the Citadel, whine whine whine." This ranking says it all. AU should have played in the Orange Bowl. I'm actually surprised USC ended up #18 with a Pac 10 schedule. Guess the VT game helped them out there...wait, didn't AU beat them too? Oh well, at least you can be proud of your guys in the NFL next year....there will be two very lucky teams.

7. MikeDTiger

MikeDTiger Geaux Tigers!!!

Where are you getting those numbers from? http://www.geocities.com/rtell/SOS.html uses the SOS formula that the BCS used prior to this year. The formula for using 2/3 of the opponent’s records and 1/3 of opponent’s opponents’ records isn’t debatable. These are the numbers from 12/5 on the day of the last BCS ratings:
    14 – Oklahoma
    19 – USC
    22 – Auburn

I hate the BCS and I think that Auburn deserved to play in the title game, but Auburn’s SOS was lower. The problem was with the media and coaches polls. Also, it was bad luck for Auburn that USC opponents Arizona State, California, and Virginia Tech had such good years. That’s why USC was higher in the computer polls.

8. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

No proud, everyone did or should have known about the SOS. The only thing
    is I like many LSU fans could care less about Auburnt and their winey fans. :grin:
    I have stated from the first that Auburnt should have been in the Title game, but it could not have happened to a better lot of people........P.S. tell
    your players once Tubby gives out those fake Championship rings not to move them, they will leave green marks. :lol:

9. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

You know the whole SOS talk was BS this year. The whole notion was that their 3 non-con games were to really bad teams. That was the only argument they had this season concerning the SOS. They completely ignored the NCAA SOS rankings which had Auburn's SOS higher than USC and OU.

I've seen numbers on ESPN that had AU's SOS higher than the others. You can't tell me that USC and OU's non-con games make up for the tough SEC schedule AU had.

The 3 non con games are a non issue to me because generally teams try to get other teams they know they can beat. Unless you're in the PAC 10 and need a quality team to bump you SOS up.

I just thought it was fraudalent that the BCS was tweaked so that SOS was as strong as it was last season in the BCS calculations.

10. DRC

DRC TigerNator

A geocities site? Ya, thats a real source of legit info. You gotta be kidding right? :lol: :lol: