FINALLY !!!!! NCAA turns down Williams

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SG_Geaux, Aug 26, 2004.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Maybe 1 in 1000 NFL players would be ready right out of high school. The physical difference between an 18 year old and a 23 year old are huge. It is even greater between an 18 and 28 years old. The rule is their to protect these kids. And screw Mike Williams.

2. purplejoe

purplejoe Founding Member

everyone hates mike cuz hes with usc...we are all biased fans...the might nick would never let this happen...thats what were gunna hear about this topic...cmon guys...the guy deserves another chance...i know that not a sole in this town would do it b/c they have thes vendetta's against usc for no reason...we are the champs...thats that....

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

On what grounds should he be reinstated?

He declared eligible for the draft on the extremely slim chance that a bogus court ruling would stand.

He signed with an agent.

He accepted money and gifts.

He dug his own grave plain and simple.

Had he not signed with the agent I'd say he had a case. But he did.

4. donut2001

donut2001 Founding Member

in the end who cares, his millionaire status is delayed a year, cry me a river. I think it's good because it sets an example for young guys to drop the idea of leaving early, neither the ncaa or the nfl want those guys so early. I think he may have deserved to come back, but he got made an example of, life is tough, then you die. p.s. he'll be living in a mansion before I graduate and driving an escalade!

5. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I'll make this plain and simple. Mike Williams turned his back on college football when (as a sophomore) he left USC, dropped out of school, made bad comments about his school and teammates, and signed with an agent in order to go the NFL. The rug then got pulled out from under him.

So, since Mike Williams turned his back on college football, why should we care when the NCAA turns there back on him?

6. purplejoe

purplejoe Founding Member

imagine your in his shoes...there is a ruling that says you can go to the pros...so you sign with an agent....your looking forward to playing...then they reverse the ruling on you...and your left high and dry...the ncaa screwed him...and obviously his team and coach didnt care that he allegedly dogged them cuz they want him back...

7. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

If I'm in a situation, I do like Brandon Bass did in basketball, I declare myself eligble for the draft, but I continue to go to class, and I don't sign with an agent. He intended to end his college career with his decision, and that's exactly what happened.

8. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

It's too bad for Williams, but he has to shoulder most of the blame. Even with a judge's ruling supporting a move into the NFL, he surely knew that the NFL was appealing. The NFL clearly doesn't want Sophomores in the pros. Instead of waiting another few weeks to see if the ruling would stick, he declared himself eligible a full SIX weeks before the draft. I feel badly for him and moreso for his team. I feel even worse for myself, I was looking forward to seeing us whip his and his teams A$$ in the Orange Bowl.

:champs: :lsug: :champs: :lsup: :champs:

9. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

I guess we'll have to wait another year to see Travis Daniels lay him out on a rout over the middle. Oh well.

10. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

As far as Mike Williams goes. He followed the letter of the law at the time. IMO, he didn't do anything wrong. He just followed the rules. But he knew that that rule might not last. He risked his entire college career on a ruling that wasn't a law yet. A decision isn't final until the appeal process is completed......and once that process was completed, it wasn't a rule.....because they ruled in favor of the NFL.

Hell no he shouldn't be reinstated.....he took money and crap from his agent, that makes him INELIGIBLE....I don't really care if he gave them back, that's not the point.

Why could he not have waited until the courts decided to hire an agent, it wouldn't have affected his draft position, TRUST ME. He was an idiot for hiring an agent so quick and that agent should've done the right thing and told him to wait until the appeals process was completed.....although there's no chance in hell an agent would realistically do that.

No way he should be allowed to come back. He made his bed, he can sleep in it.