Fire Alan Dunn

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CajunlostinCali, Feb 22, 2019.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I don't think anyone has a clue why or what. Im the exact opposite as i dont think they throw enough and that goes beyond pitching. Just throwing in general. Our bodies are designed to tear down to build up. Laying off the sliders is always a good idea however.

Half is mental. If youre conditioned to be worried about your arm as your familys meal ticket you've already lost.

The culture has changed at the new box as well which has led to the softness. I wouldn't mind seeing change for the sake of change. I was thinking he might retire this off season with his dad passing but who does that with a top recruiting class. Cpm is also snakebit. He may wanna try skips visualization technique that worked so well. There's a negative feeling pervasive that might stem from the hc that needs a new approach.

shane0911 and lsu-i-like like this.
  2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Love your meal ticket line. But, if memory serves, didn't Skip get some criticism for wearing out pitchers?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Throwing is a natural arm movement. Any kid can pick up a ball or a rock and have no trouble throwing it. Pitching is not natural to the arm. Throwing a football is a lot more natural than pitching a baseball. Sure, QB's get shoulder injuries all the time but those are from getting hit and not from throwing.

Coaches should study Nolan Ryan's pitching motion. Probably the main reason he was relatively injury free is because his style was naturally the pwfet motion not to put undue stress on his arm, shoulder and elbow.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

No one knows shit and everyone has their own natural motion. You can't duplicate nature.

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

because when Skip asked how a guy was feeling, that guy pretty much always said he was good. even if his arm was dangling by a thread and he’d lost feeling in it 4 innings ago.

shane0911 likes this.
  6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

i’m a firm believer that we all have a certain number of throws in our arms.
    some a lot more than others. some a lot less than others.

i was never even a pitcher, but i reached my limit and my shoulder is all kinds of fucked up now. not from any contact and not from the abuse of pitching. just straight up wear and tear over the years.

it ain’t the same for everybody.
    so there isn’t a blanket “fix” for everybody either.

hell Japanese league pitchers throw a ton more pitches than Americans do.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Nothing could be further from the truth. Throwing overhand is absolutely not a natural motion. Its why you need multiple pitchers on a baseball team and only one for softball. The arm naturally hangs downward and swings from the shoulder. Softball pitchers might get tired, but pitching game after game doesn't cause damage. The overhand throwing motion is much more stressful on the shoulder.

8. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

should see what it does to the elbow.
    bends, twists, and stretches it in ways you can’t even duplicate in slow motion.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Then what do pitching coaches do? Like a golf swing, bad mechanics need to be addressed and tweaked.

It's not unusual for a 14-17 year old Japanese pitcher to throw 150-200 pitches in a game and come back and do it again 3 or 4 days later. Thing is, I don't know what the percentage of young and very talented Japanese pitches make it to the Japan major league compared with American kids who make it to the show.

Throwing overhand is a natural motion. Pitching a baseball is a different motion altogether than just throwing. When you were a kid and picked up a rock or an egg did you throw it underhanded? Maybe when you were very young but I doubt it by the time you were 7 or 8.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I was never a pitcher past little league but like any kid I liked to throw things. I never had any arm or shoulder problems until a few years ago when I tripped and fell and tore my rotator cuff. The only elbow problems I ever had was when I used to play a bit of tennis.

Like yourself I have probably made thousands of more throwing motions casting a rod and reel than from anything else.