First College Playoff Committee Poll Tonight

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Oct 28, 2014.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Les Miles says that's a man.

2. Guido Merkins

Guido Merkins Founding Member

This is why this 4 team thing is just a stepping stone. The committee should only be deciding on at large teams. 6 or 8 teams. Conference Champs get automatic bids. Then 1 or 3 at large. IMO, if you don't win your conference you should be at the mercy of somebody's opinion, just like in basketball.

All this "best team" nonsense is just that. In no other sport do we worry about the "best teams" getting in. Arizona Cardinals were better than several playoff teams last year. They also happened to play in the best division in football. They got left out. In 1990 a 10 win Saints team got left out. It happens. You need to get it in your mind that you are trying to crown a Champion, not determine who the best team is. You can't determine that. Too many factors in play.

ParadiseiNC, LSUDieHard and gyver like this.
  3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Was it snoop dogg that said gap teef in her mouth so my dick gotsta fit?

4. Guido Merkins

Guido Merkins Founding Member

And this "Team A already best Team B, they shouldn't have to play again" is another piece of nonsense. It happens in every sport. Nothing unfair about it. If you are a Champion, yes, you have to beat that team again. If you can't, you don't deserve it. Regular season game isn't nearly as important as playoff or championship game. All wins are not equal.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I quite agree.

It has to be about the teams having the best year. The strength of schedule has to be taken into account, but its mostly about winning the mostest. I like the 5 conference champions and 3 at-large teams. If you didn't win the conference but you have beaten a truckload of very good teams, you can get in with a couple of losses.

The SEC West is going to have 3 to 5 damn strong football teams with two losses this year that won't sniff the SECCG or the championship series but will demolish Big-10 and Big-12 teams in the bowls. That could be very different in a 5+3 playoff. But I wonder about 16- and 17-game seasons for part-time college teams. It ain't the NFL. We can't do football like basketball.

gyver likes this.
  6. red55

I understand, but the football season is short. A late-season loss from one the leading teams has traditionally made it an elimination game as far as polls and rankings. An 8 + 3 playoff would make the point moot.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I can go along with that but with one modification. Pick the Power Five Conference Champions with three wild cards but if in the opinion of the committee and/or computers or whatever decision making process they decide upon that a fourth wild card team could be added to replace the least deserving conference champion. For instance if an 11-2 Georgia was the loser of the SEC Championship game and an 11-2 Ohio State was the winner of the Big 10 CCG and it was clear that the quality of Georgia's schedule was superior to Ohio State's then the Dawgs would be in the playoff and the Luckeyes would play in some loser's bowl.

No matter what they decide or how it turns out, the committee will be wrong. Its a lose-lose situation to be on the committee and have everybody in the country know who you are. Archie Manning probably made a wise decision to drop out.

8. red55

Odd numbers don't work well in a playoff. If you are the 9th best team in the country, you should have fucking played better.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Not saying odd numbers. I' saying eight teams but an underserving conference champ would be replaced by a deserving wildcard. You didn't understand my post. I said the Dawgs would go and the Luckeyes would play in a loser's bowl. That equals eight playoff teams. By "loser's bowl" I meant something like the Chik-Fil-A or the Outback or Gator. In such a scenario OSU would be the 9th or worst best team and UGA would be no worse the the 8th best

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Which is why the SEC should secede from this whole process and create their own.