First preseason Top 25: SEC's other Tigers start at No. 1

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by KyleK, Mar 11, 2011.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I wonder if there is going to be some big fat dudes in overalls and houndstooth fedoras guarding the statues. the crazy sect of the barn could be looking for payback for the trees that were slain by morgoth and ungoliant.

2. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

I hear we ain't messing around. Been talk about splurging for the Bayou militia. You know, the Amos Moses, named him after a man of the cloth type. Even the fringe element of the barn might recalculate the value of an oak.

3. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I was talking about what's the odds that the barners get revenge on the gump nation by destroying bryants statue before football season starts.

4. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Time to get the thread back on track after Tusk has once again hijacked an LSU topic with over a dozen posts and at least one on each page on a topic intended to highlight LSU as the preseason #1 team in the country. I could give a rats azz about history/origin of AU or ALA mascot/monikers, and I am a history buff. This is an LSU forum, amigo.

Kyle, I agree it's nice that LSU has regained respect (and CLM with his best coaching job last year at LSU yet, IMHO), and it's kind of fun to talk about it, but over time comes a build up of expectations that become difficult to fulfill. I disagree a bit that it is easier to stay up top, meaning #1. As I recall, LSU started #22, or so, in 2003. Now, I would prefer to be higher than 22 and I agree it is easier to start high and win it all, than in the 20's, but I still hope we are not #1 in AP, etc to start the season. Having said that, it is fun talking about these kinds of expectations and the possibility of a NC season. Just don't want a bullseye right away; would rather earn it over the course of the first 2 months of the season, then go into November ranked in the top three, thus setting up for a run at the NC.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I want to say USC is the only team to start number 1 and ride it through the entire season. Now I can't remember if they did it in 04, but in 05 I know they started out number 1 and ended up losing to Texass for the marbles, but I can't for the life of me remember if they started at 1 in 04, if they did, I think that would make them the only team in the BCS era to ever start and finish a season at 1.

6. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Who was the only team to start the season outside the top 25 and finish number 1?

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

He'll use that tree killer for alligator bait.