Five Guys Burgers

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Krypto, Sep 27, 2010.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Boutin's is till open. Ralph and Kacoos has been terrible for years. FOR YEARS.

2. Jester

Jester Founding Member

Wow. I had one of the worst meals that I have EVER had in my life there. My fiance and I were both almost sick. We swore to never go back there again.

Unpurged escargot absolutely chock full of dirt and grit.........Horrible low quality foie gras full of veins and stringy connective tissue.............and uncooked and rotten tasting sweetbreads.

...............and that was just the appetizers. It was an experience that we would both like to forget.

Now you may say, why would you get those things in Baton Rouge, but those are things that we both love when we get them elsewhere. We thought we might be taking a chance getting them here, in a place not known for that type of fare, but we never could have possibly imagined that it could be that bad.

It absolutely ranks as the #1 most disgusting and horrible dining experience of my entire life.

I've also had several bad experiences at Mansurs with poor service, cold food, and just poor quality overall. I guess that just goes to show that when it comes to food, people have many different tastes and experiences.

I have yet to find anywhere in Baton Rouge that can compare with Stella, Restaurant August, Palace Cafe, Bayona, and others in New Orleans.

3. LSUsupaFan

I am shocked. I had foie gras the last time I was there and it was great. My only complaint is that I once had Turtle Soup there that was too heavy on the chilli powder. But that was one miss in a dozen or so dining experiences.

Did you eat there shortly after it opened? Because as a rule it takes even an experienced kitchen crew 6 months to develop any type of consistency.

I wouldn't question that. You are talking about a restaurant group that is well managed, and very in tune with the importance of their reputation. You are talking 4-5 star establishment.

I have never had any problems at Mansur's either, and I have eaten there many times, though not in the last six months or so.

Nothing in BR does. Nothing is even close. I gues the chefs that could pull off that type of place just open up shop in New Orleans.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Boutins is not really a Seafood restaurant. It sells Cajun ambience and its really hard to screw up crawfish.

Ralph and Kacoo's is a Picadilly chain. I thought you were talking about local restaurants. Ralph's is not my favorite, but they are good at what they do. They still handle large parties better than anyone.

And as far a chains go, they still beat the hell out of Joe's Crab Shack, Red Lobster, and such.

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

All I have heard about Galatorie's is that it is no where close to the New Orleans location. We go to the N.O. one all the time especially during lent so I have refused to go to the one in BR.

Have to get there like 3 hours or more during lent for Friday lunch. I swear the rich folk hire bums off the street to camp out in front of the restaurant all night until opening at 11am. I mean like 20 bums deep reserving for large groups of guest. One of the employees comes out around 10am and starts taking names and party size.

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

My best friend was the executive chef at Mansur's when it 1st opened and was really really good. He created most of the menu but when Tommy Mansur came and hired him away none of the following chefs could cut it with his dishes on the menu. Well my other friend who took over could but he quit shortly after too.

Went there about 2 months ago and was very disappointed. Not surprised by the poor service based on the stories I have heard and who is running the place now.

7. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

and they do an absolutely horrible job at doing crawfish. There is nothing good in that place at all. I would rather go to Taco Bell.

1 person likes this.
  8. LSUsupaFan

I'd rather eat Alpo than Boutin's crawfish.

9. LSUsupaFan

They are a local chain. And they are consistently picked in the Best of BR for seafood. Yet they are horrible. They ruin every oyester that goes through that place.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Man if you ever have to spend a year in some place like North Platte, Nebraska; Gadsden, Alabama or Dayton, Ohio you will appreciate Baton Rouge eating.