Florida, shut up, the correct call was made.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Oct 11, 2010.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

2. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

The line is drawn from the ball's farthest point when it leaves the holder's hand. What matters is the trajectory of the ball. Looked perfectly parallel to me.

Some other notes from the comments at the link:

On Rule 7-2-2 (the ball only being eligible for recovery by the fumbler):

The exception for when a player "has simulated a kick" properly applies. Further, that was a "backward pass," not a "fumble." That rule is to prevent players from desperatley fumbling the ball forward, and shouldn't logically apply. How many times have you seen a "Stanford band play," where the ball touches the ground after a pitch, but another player is permitted to pick it up and run with it? Many times. That's the same interpretation (backward pass vs. fumble)

On Rule 9-4-4 ("if the player holding the ball for a place kick loses possession during a scrimmage down, it is a fumble and a loose ball"):

That rule says you can't kick such a ball, and should not be applied outside of section 9-4 ("Batting and Kicking"). I would say the holder "gave up possession," and didn't "lose" it. I have seen that play run enough times to know it is legal. This interpretation ('it was a fumble') would make that play never legal on fourth down.

Amazingly, the much maligned SEC refs got the play exactly right.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You have a point. I think they blew a few other calls in that game also. I thought that was a safety, but they said the ball was down at the 1. I thought that Tolliver got raped on the play before the touchdown. I thought Jordan scored a touchdown earlier that was marked down at the 1. There was a bogus pass interference call on Jai Eugene.

1 person likes this.
  4. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

Definitely.

Forgot about that one. Don't see anyway he was down, unless somehow his forward progress is ruled stopped before his second effort (since he wasn't being 'held back' he was just at rest).

Terrible call.

There was also a defensive holding call on Florida near the near sidelines, on a ball to Ridley or the fullback, that I thought was a bad call. I think that was on the final drive.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Correct.

But the ball was tossed from either the 33 1/4 or 33 1/2 yard line, not the 33.

We were very fortunate the call went out way.

6. islstl

Another Les Miles head scratching moment, among many. It was clearly a touchdown.

These are the situations when your head coach really has to earn his keep.

7. islstl

And actually that should tell you that it was a very dumb call and luck reigned supreme.

8. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

That line looks a little off. Looks like it should be a little closer to parallel with the 45. It looks almost parallel with the 40.

Still a great pic. Seeing where it landed relative to the holder, I don't think there is any way it went forward. The nose of the ball must have been slightly beyond the 43 when he pitched it.

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I don't think Florida realized it was going to be a fake. I think those defenders were let through intentionall as part of the play design. That's what you do for a screen pass isn't it?

Knowing full well that Florida was gonna put on a full rush to block the field goal, LSU took advantage of that and simply ran a screen from the Kicking formation.

GREAT call...it wasn't like it was a field goal in the middle of the first quarter....it was a game tying field goal at the end of regulation. Perfect timing in my opinion.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

One more thing about Florida.... what was up with their players slamming Tyrann Mathieu on the ground about 5 seconds after the whistle at the beginning of the game. Dirty ass players man.