Florida, shut up, the correct call was made.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Oct 11, 2010.

1. floridatigers

floridatigers Veteran Member

It must suck being a miserable fan. Maybe you should root for the Gators, Canes, UGA or some other team that has a reason to be unhappy. Sorry to be blunt, but the attitude sucks.

2. floridatigers

floridatigers Veteran Member

This comment was meant for anyone that claims we were lucky. I would also quote Shawshank Redemption - "I find it decidedly inconvenient" that we gave UF a short field twice in the first half and a special teams debacle. I believe we deserved a bit of good karma on the last series after doubling them up in almost every catagory. :lsup:LSU!:LSU231::eek:ldskule::tigereye:

3. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

I really don't think it could've been overturned. There was absolutely no way to tell where JJ's knee was. I wanted him to challenge initially but then I could never find his knee in the pile so it's almost guaranteed he would've lost the challenge.

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

anyone remember the huge play that kept arky out of the seccg? 97 i think. clint stoerner "fumbled" by trying to brace his fall with the ball. talk about ground causing a fumble.

5. Jackson

Jackson Tiger in NC

Not only is he athletic, he was heads-up to realize Helton(the holder) was not in the huddle when it was decided to run the fake and he made sure Helton knew the call as he went back to the field. Thank Goodness it all worked out. Can you imagine our holder placing the ball down to be kicked and Josh taking off for the fake. OMG, the outcry about lack of communication would have been deafening. I'm just glad the Tigers pulled this one out because they were clearly the best team, gifting FL 21 points on turnovers and a kickoff return. Keep winning TIGERS !!!!!!

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

That was against Tennessee in '98, ended up preserving their national championship run.

7. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

LSU has run this play twice now (from my memory) and I have questioned the rule both times regarding the knee placement.
    The rule states the holder can have a knee on the ground as long as an offensive player (kicker) is in position to kick or simulate a kick. My question is in regard to the kicker vacating his position of "kicking or simulating a kick". If the kicker vacates his position, the holder should have to be off his knee to not be called down, imo.

Otherwise, why would the rule specifically state the knee can be on the ground as long as a player is in position to kick or simulate a kick?
    Obviously, it's not what has been ruled, but the SEC office should clarify the rule to explain what simulating a kick means.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

"Simulating a kick" only means running a fake field goal play in official parlance. The kicker must run up to kick or to fake a kick, so he is not "vacating his position", just simulating a kick.

The holder is always exempt from the down-ball rule or every kicking or fake kicking attempt would be down at the placement.

9. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

The text of the rule is past tense w/r/t the kick simulation:

I assume the NCAA would have addressed this by now if it weren't legal. Merely lining up for a kick seems to be enough to satisfy the simulation requirement.

10. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

I understand that part. The rule states "as long as an offensive player (kicker) is in position to kick or simulate a kick". If he goes in motion on the snap, he is no longer "in position" which is the basis of my question.