Flynn and Russell Redux

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger Paul, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Tiger Paul

Tiger Paul Freshman

Matt Flynn deserves a chance. Statistics are merely one of several indications of ability. Terry Bradshaw (out of Louisiana Tech) had only a 51.9% completion rate during his 13 years in the NFL. But he was the first quarterback to win four Superbowls as a Pittsburgh Steeler. He was a winner. He got the job done in the big games whether by running or passing; he was a leader. A tough competitor, Bradshaw excelled in big games. During his career, he passed for more than 300 yards only seven times, but three of those performances came in post-season play, two of them in the Super Bowl. In all of its history, Pittsburgh was never a champion without Bradshaw and now Roethlisberger.

One can assert JR is the best man in every game, but the facts just do not support it. JR has not won the big game. In 2005: he scraped out a last-minute victory at the poor Arizona; he lost AT HOME to a mediocre Tennessee; he barely won AT HOME to a mediocre Florida; he barely won AT HOME in OT to an excellent Auburn that missed at least 5 field goals, several of which were chip shots; he barely won to a mediocre Alabama in OT; he scraped out a last minute victory AT HOME to an awful Arkansas; he was humiliated in Georgia 34-14. Several other games with bad opponents were not put away until the second half. Even in 2004, during the 2005 Capital One Bowl, he not only lost but also failed to put away an ineffective Iowa offense. In the 2006 Auburn game, he bobbled the snap three times and fumbled it once (which LSU recovered), he ran in the 4th quarter on third and twelve, he failed to spike the ball in the last minute, etc.

Matt Flynn and LSU’s defense demolished the so-called Miami powerhouse in the first quarter of the Peach Bowl to uphold the SEC’s honor considering the inexplicable losses by Georgia and Auburn. Matt Flynn threw 7 touchdowns in 2005 while JR threw only 15.

The excellent Coach Miles, as so many coaches have done, might have become devoted to JR. Coaches are stubborn; that could be why Flynn, and not other factors (visible to outsiders), have kept Flynn from starting.

Although it should be unnecessary, I must say I want JR to do well not just because I like him but because it will help LSU.

2. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

[​IMG]

nuff said

3. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Damn you Russell!!! :cuss::cuss:

How dare you drive down the field to give us a lead with under 2 minutes left in the game. Then you had the AUDACITY to allow Iowa to score AGAIN!!!! I cannot believe that you, JaMarcus Russell, blew the coverage on that last second play and lost us the game.

How dare you beat a "mediocre" 9-0 team in overtime. Unacceptable.

Then, to make things worse, you led our team to a come-from-behind-win against Florida. We had to come from behind against a #11 TEAM??? COME ON!!!!

I say we stab him in the leg to get Flynn in. It worked for that punter didn't it?

4. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

:rofl:

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I guess you dont remember the Capital One Bowl vs Iowa. Saban put Flynn in before JR for some reason, probanly because it was his last game as LSU's coach. JR had to come in a score 2 TDs with 6 minutes late. Flynn looked bad.

JR has won all but three games as a starter. MM had the same amount of losses through his career and Russel will be a starter for 2 more years. I think we have had many tough games that JR proved to be the starter.:crystal: :geauxtige

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

ill be embarrassed for any so-called LSU fans who buys any of this tripe. flynn's mother even knows better.

7. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

i think there is some truth to the coaching staff being devoted to a kid that they (jimbo) have recruited since his sophomore year of high school.

however, while the coaching staff should always take any blame that is to be doled out, JR was hurt for most of last year which most likely caused the offense to be as ineffective as it was. still the coaches thought he was the best option, hurt or not.

we have glaring offensive line issues which need to be addressed before any championships are to be won. miles better get it done on the recruiting trail and quit loading up on WR's and RB's that won't see the field.

8. tirk

thats bs you hear on the radio or wherever. truth of the matter is the TEAM voted JR offensive MVP last year and team captain this year. its not favoritism and to argue such is stupidity.

9. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

i don't believe i argued such. i simply said the coaches have recruited him since sophomore year of high school so they are devoted to him.

i think its clear from the limited offseason work that the public saw of JR who the best quarterback was/is. i just thought it was ridiculous last year to play a kid with a hurt throwing wrist.

10. tirk

well i didnt mean to come across that harshly but i definitely agree on the russell injury since he certainly wasnt the same after. hell i think he threw the pick right after he got hurt. while each coach may have their favorites at every position, they do play who they feel gives them the best chance to win. certainly id prefer a healthy flynn over a limp-wristed russell. **no bravo channel reference intended.