Football Future

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by wvtiger, Jan 6, 2003.

1. wvtiger

wvtiger Freshman

This is my first post I am new to the board and this is the best board by far. Anyway I can't help but think about the future of the team with the 2 qb's signed and the 3 rb's this class is going to be awesome. With all the talent coming back and the new guys coming in do any of you think that a national title could come in 2 or 3 years?

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I think 2004 LSU will repeat as SEC champions and Possible contend for a national title. But that is just me, the big catch is in the SEC it is very hard to win a title because of all the great teams we face.. However if you can manage to win out, you are a shoe-in for the Title game (See Georgia - Basically one melt down away for competing for the national title, with a loss to a down Florida team)

Welcome my friend.

3. Welcome to the board WV. Right now there are a ton of variables that will have to play out before I can think about titles. We are kinda at a lack of depth for LB's and Safety's and will be replacing most of the defensive starters. The offense should be fine, defense iffy and we have a very hard schedule next year. The good thing about loosing the defensive starters is Saban's schemes and him pulling his best players to D. I do think we will be competitive next year and in 2004, especially if we can finish strong in recruiting.

4. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

The possibility of a NC in a couple of years is very possible if Saban is here and recruiting stays the way it is. I told my self at the end of last year that 2004 would be LSU's year and still believe that prediction to be possible.

Living in Mobile, I get to hear all of the Auburn fans over here talk about how they will win the NC next year "Bullshit". I know they will be a very good SEC contender next year but, Tuberville and NC go together about as good as Bama and not cheating. It just ain't gonna happen!!

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That's for damn sure! You can have the tools and the talent and still come up short.

Who can forget LSU basketball in 1991? Shaquille O'Neal, Stanley Roberts, and Chris Jackson (3 future NBA picks, two were All Americans) and a coach who had been to two Final Fours. It was supposed to be the "Team of the 90's" and they didn't do squat. All 3 went pro early, leaving Brown with underperformers.

6. wvtiger

wvtiger Freshman

WV

Yes wv does stand for west virginia for those wondering. What I have said ever since the SEC expanded that it would be next to impossible for a team to go undefeated. Tennesse then did it and Georgia almost proved me wrong this year do to a lot of factors. Tennessee being terrible for the most part and the departure of SOS at FLA.

I have since changed my view but it is going to take a dominating team in all 3 phases of the game in my opinion. Things would also have to fall our way such as top teams losing and that, but I do believe this program could be consistent top 10 which is a realistic goal that become realized by 2004.

If LSU is in the top 10 every year thats about all you can ask for because some years something out of our hands will happen that either puts us into a title game or out of one. I do think we should be in position to win or lose our way into one like GA in a few years.