Football question for the board...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TD TIGER, Apr 13, 2005.

1. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

If there is one thing in athletics that holds true for all - Winning cures all ills. As long as teams win, all other stuff gets glossed over. I've had high school principals tell me that they are elated win the football team wins because everyone is happy and things run a lot smoother. Well, in Louisiana it's the same way with LSU football - if the Tigers are winning then the ills of the world don't seem so bad or hard to deal with.

Personally as long as the head coach doesn't publicly embarrass the university I don't care if he's a prick or the greatest guy in the world, As long as the coach keeps LSU consistently winning and in the hunt for the national championship I could care less. Bottom line for coaches is that it comes down to Ws and Ls. Les Miles like all coaches knows that if he doesn't win it doesn't matter what his personality is like, he'll be gone.

Saban knew when he came in that he had to stop the circus-like atmosphere around the program. He had to stop the up-to-the-minute Buddy Songy practice reports and the all the other shenanigans going on. And he did that by taking total control of every aspect of the program. I think Miles is trying to take a page out of the Saban playbook by keeping everything close to the vest as far as information coming out of the program.

2. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

One win less every two years is hypotheticalso I'll say this that if we wre not competing for an SEC championship and that one loss is to AU or Bamma year in year out it won't be very many years and Lm will be out.

I laugh at the dogging going on about Saban. Name one thing he did to hurt the university. Name one thing he did that wasn't for the good of the program or players. And taking the job at Miami is not one because most of us would like to be at the top of our profession. And that is a dead issue anyway. I would bet that many of us here would have loved to see our own kids under Saban's wing as an athelete.

Time to take a breath and relax.

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

i know what you meant but this still sounds funny.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i think its because he is implenting his new system and in his first year its a good strategy. Keep 'em guessin' and the opposition will definitely be guessing early to midseason about Miles' new schemes and gameplans. It will probably be a lot different next year.

mystique is good anyhow. keeps the fat hacks pissed as well.

5. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Dan Fouts would probably say these losses would most likely be caused by the other team getting a higher combination of points through touchdowns, safeties, field goals and extra points. :hihi:

6. geauxcoondawg

geauxcoondawg Freshman

Just as long and Miles is not another Archer. Good with the players that was left. but could not win with his players. All I want is:champs: :crystal: :crystal: :crystal: :crystal: :crystal: :crystal: :crystal: :crystal: :crystal: :crystal:

7. geauxcoondawg

geauxcoondawg Freshman

Miles can be laidback as long as he can handle the team.

8. clair

clair Rockets

This guy would always either beat OU or play tough with OU with his own players.

He was in a HUGE recruiting disadvantage being surrounded by powerhouses in all directions as well (Nebraska, OU, Texas, K-State, A@M, LSU), so I think he is more than good enough!

I think he is a better-credentialed coach now than Saban was out of MSU

9. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

That is a tall order when you factor in the competition you face in the SEC and BCS.

Saban understood that at times he simply had to be a hard a$$ with some of the more immature players to move them along.

I don't think he enjoyed that aspect of college ball very much, and probably one of the main reasons he went back to the pro ranks, but ultimately he ended up with the hardware: 2 SEC Championships and a Crystal Trophy.

I think that Miles knows better than to copy the Houston Nutt template.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

saban didnt have to be a hardass, he is a hardass. thats simply who he is and can be no other way when coaching. Never will be unless he lives to be 90.