Football question for the board...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TD TIGER, Apr 13, 2005.

1. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

On different styles of coaching to win games:

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

I like how CLM is secretive. It adds so much more mystery and intrigued into the game. Especially the media... I like how they whine :

"wah, we can't see the practices...wah!" :cry:

too funny...:hihi:...

I think CLM has some tricks up his sleeve that he never got to take advantage of at OK state...

I bet this guy is thinking:

"holy crap... Look at all this offensive talent... that basically underachieved throughout last year! Man I can't wait to have fun with these guys..."

Doesnt CLM remind you of a coach that would totally tackle one of his own players, not to hurt them, just to play around with them...for fun"

im thinking the players are going to have the most fun they have had yet this upcoming year with the "let er rip" playbook...

Opinions?

2. purplejoe

purplejoe Founding Member

As long as miles wins, I could care less what his damn personality is. He's our coach and I'll follow him as long as he wins.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

To answer a few points with my guesses:

Tirk, I agree implementing the new system is the main reason but I think it would be more logical that he keeps the media away from practice so that the guys can concentrate a little better with fewer distractions since there is so much to learn this spring. I doubt they are putting in too many special wrinkles this early.

Some are equaiting Miles noy cursing with being kind of soft or laidback, I do not think that is the case whatsoever. The guy is hardnosed and a very strict displinarian. Might even be more of a displinarian than Saban was here.

Chip, have to disagree with the immature player comment and that being on of the reasons Saban moved to the NFL. The players were much more likely to get with the program in college, many will give Saban fits in the NFL once they have the bonus money in hand.

4. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Well, the idea that the "Saban way" of doing things is the only way to win is incorrect, else every winning college coach in the country would wear turtlenecks and use the word "relative" four times in every sentence during an interview.

Seriously, it's very difficult to balance what I'll call "approachability" with doing what needs to be done to win consistently as a coach. I think a more authoritarian approach is best at a smaller, non-traditional school, but once you get to a major power---one flush with money and recruit-friendly advantages---you have a little more leeway in your approach.

You *do* have to be a hard-liner yet be fair, innovative and passionate about what you do, even at a major program. It's not a clear-cut thing, but if it was then the major programs would always hire the "right" kind of coach who can win and be successful (Saban, Mark Richt, Steve Spurrier) and not misfire on those who can't (Hallman, Ray Goff, Ron Zook).

5. ChineseBandit

ChineseBandit Founding Member

For a touchy feely kind of coach who gets the job done, just see Pete Carroll. Yeah, I know that hurts, but it's the truth. It's possible to get players to play for you by loving you. I'd say striking the fear of God into them is more common though.

6. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

We will see what PC does without Norm Chow.

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

hahaha! yes, he certainly does. :hihi:

Allegedly, the worst word any of the players have ever heard Lute Olsen say at a practice or in a game was 'baloney'. 21 straight NCAA tournaments? yeah, let's just say cursing is not necessary.

8. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

No Norm Chow = No N(ational) C(hampinoship).

9. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

From a Saban interview:

10. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I thought that question was a bit unfair, but Saban's response seems reasonable.

This is not the first time he's been told that players don't like his intensity and I'm sure it's not the first time he replied, in essense, that he could give a damn if they don't because you can't argue with the results and success his approach brings.

Doubt he'll change much now that he's back in the pros, especially since he'll win. I mean, players buy into Parcells and his crap b/c the guy's a good coach and he (mostly) wins. They'll do the same for Nick in Miami.