Football receives sanctions

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mctiger, Feb 26, 2015.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

USC did not pay Reggie Bush. The issue revolved around Reggie's parents and their relationship with a wannabe agent who was trying to get Reggie to LEAVE USC. The NCAA's COI said USC "should have known"....lol. Since when do people get fined, arrested, sanctioned, for something they "should have known" as opposed to an actual written rule?

Originally you thought we "got off light". Lord almighty. A 2-year post-season bowl ban, players who had just signed were able to leave without having to sit out, 2014 NC was vacated, the entire 2015 season was vacated, but the most damaging was the docking of 30 scholarships over 3 years. Just a few years ago we had an incoming class of 15 players. Last season we had barely 63 players on scholarship. There were some games where we only played 47-48 guys and some played the entire game. We had ZERO depth and there were walk-ons playing true D1 talent and getting injured as a result but of course the NCAA is all about protecting the player. This is the first year we could take a full freshman class but it will still take another couple years to get to a full 85.

Every time I see another school get zip, it pisses me off even more. Is there anyone in the country who doesn't believe Scam Newton got big money in college? Ohio St under Tressell had multiple player violations (including star Pryor) and Tressel was caught lying about it not only to the admins but to the NCAA....they got a 1-year bowl ban....whoopty effin do. Penn St....pedo state but gets a near apology from the NCAA.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't get the outrage. LSU knew the new rule. They took a risk by signing Womack to financial aid on a soft commitment and they got burned. Now they can't sign any early for 2 years, which is probably good.

TerryP, cajdav1 and lsu-i-like like this.
  3. Brian

Brian Founding Member

I knew you'd bring it when I read that comment. Don't blame you one bit.

USC's biggest problem was twofold. Mike Garrett decided to essentially taunt the NCAA publicly. He thought USC was untouchable and that really imo is the reason the University was hit so hard. The Bush stuff was all pretty sketchy in terms of being able to punish USC for it because they had little to do with him getting money (the "agent" was doing that). They just didn't monitor it properly. Eh.. not a huge issue, imo.

The second reason they got nailed is that there was stuff with the basketball team if I recall correctly which allowed the NCAA to claim "lack of institutional control" since issues happened in two sports. That's what allowed them to hammer USC pretty damn harshly. Those scholarships were huge.

4. msully

msully Founding Member

I thought it was the Governor and the Mayor that caused the problems .

5. msully

msully Founding Member

I like the bama connection , reminds me of the Vols and bama . The player I would not think by himself would be smart enough to think that way without a bit of help LOL too many fill in the blanks

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Its a terrible rule. It basically allows for entrapment

LSUDad likes this.
  7. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

Try living in the middle of this bull shit. Cant move back fast enough.

LSUDad likes this.
  8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

How is it good?

LSUDad and Bengal B like this.
  9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I agree about the frustration with the inconsistent levying of penalties, but are you kidding me with the "USC didn't pay him" argument? LSU didn't contact Kevin Steele and 100 others about the DC position either.

10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Yep. How about GFY, buddy!