Football tidbits from Jimbo....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by marcnbc, May 24, 2006.

1. marcnbc

marcnbc Founding Member

got this from another board and thought ya'll might enjoy this.

Just passing along an email I got re: Jimbos comments on this season.
    Subject: Jimbo Fisher
    As some of you know, there was a Sigma Chi luncheon today at Bocage, and Jimbo was the guest speaker. First I'll just say that if ya'll haven't heard the guy speak, then I'll just say he knows his football. I will be very surprised to keep him around for more than two more seasons...

Now the run down:

First he talked about academics. He said that the overall GPA for the team last semester was something like a 2.65 (which I thought was pretty good considering... ), and that not one player is on academic probation or at risk of being ineligible. He also said that our academic center is bar none the best in the country.

Now the juice. I will list all of the positions and current starters he named at each:

DEFENSE
    D-line: Chase Pittman, Glen Dorsey, Marlon Favorite, and Kirston Pittman/ Tyson Jackson/ Rickey Jean Francois
    2's: Ryan Willis/ Tremaine Johnson, Charles Alexander (hurt), (Deas or Woods), and Tim Washington (hurt)

Linebacker: WILL- Ali Highsmith, MIKE- Luke Sanders (85%), SAM- Darry Beckwith
    2's : Will- Jason Spadoni, Mike- (Jacob Cutrera), Saml- Dominic Cooper/ (Odom or Riley)

Safeties: SS- Jessie Daniels, FS- Laron Lndry
    2's: SS- Craig Steltz, FS- Curtis Taylor

Corners: Chevis Jackson and Jonathan Zenon
    2's: Daniel Francis and Sammy Joseph

The youth of the D-Line scares me a little, but it is our deepest position on the team hands down. A number of these "2's" could leave today and start for a lot of good teams.

OFFENSE
    O-line: RT- Peter Dyakowski, RG- Brian Johnson, Center- Helms/Miller, LG- Will Arnold, LT- Ciron Black
    2's: RT- Loadholt/ B. Johnson, RG- Herman Johnson, Center- Andrew Decker, LG- Helms, LT- ???

WR: Dwayne Bowe, Buster Davis, Early Doucet
    2's: Brandon Lafell, Xavier Carter, Trindon Holliday

TE: Keith Zinger
    2's: MIt Cole/ Alonzo Manuel

RB: Alley Broussard (90%), Justin Vincent (85%)
    2's: Jacob Hester, Antonio Robinson, (Keiland Williams)
    3's: R. J. Jackson (hurt), (Richard Murphy/ Charles Scott)

"Did I forget any positions" said Jimbo with a laugh. He asked the crowd what we'd do in his situation with these QB's. We had two " Start Jamarcus" and that was it. He said Ryan P is not as fast as everyone thinks he is. He is an incredible athlete, and he pushes these other two like no one else. He said Ryan runs about a 4.7, and that Flynn is actually the fastest at about 4.62 or so. He said he will pick a starter in the early fall, but that he is going to let them all three compete for the job. There was a question about Jamarcus and how he throws it like Booty used to (90 mph). Jimbo said Jamarcus has such a tight spiral, that it is easier to catch than Booty. He also said he has the best touch of the three. "He can throw it ninety yards, then drop one in like a feather on the next play."

I personally believe that Jamarcus will start. Jimbo didn't have one negative thing to say about him, and said that this last Spring that Jamarcus was coaching Perrilloux during snaps. He said there were times that Jamarcus took the words to Ryan right out of his mouth, and that showed him his level of maturity. Oh, and by the way J-russ is 10-2 as a starter and one of those losses was that awful loss to Tennessee last season.

Kicking: Jackson will do both punting and long field goals. David will do extra points.
    Kick returning will possibly be: Trindon Holliday and Xavier Carter
    Punt returns maybe: Trindon Holliday or Chevis Jackson or Brandon Lafell

OTHER TIDBITS:
    - Apparently this Andrew Decker kid (transfer from Toledo) was a gift from God according to Jimbo. Jimbo said you can't ever have enough centers and one year he was at Auburn, they went through five before the season started. Anyway, this Decker kid breaks his right hand (snapping hand) with about four practices to go this spring. He showed up to practice the next day snapping the ball left handed. He stayed up all night practicing in hopes of earning his spot.

- I'm sure everyone remembers Jamarcus's injury to his wrist this year. Jimbo said it happened on the last drive of the first half against Florida. Jamarcus dropped back and was blindsided for a sack. It completely tore one tendon, and ripped another. Jamarcus played the rest of the game. The next week against Auburn, some of you may remember that Jamarcus didn't have his A game. He was throwing balls in the dirt, letting balls drift, etc. Well, before the game they shot his wrist up with Cortisone. This completely numbed his hand, and he couldn't feel it. After Jimbo got on to him at half time, he finally told him that he couldn't feel his hand at all. He didn't want to sit on the sidelines...

-Last thing he said was that he and WIll Muschamp (now at Auburn) talk on the phone regularly, and that they are both pumped about the match up

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Wow. Thanks for sharing - very interesting.

Can someone explain to me why you might want different people returning kicks & punts? And what kind of characteristics do you want for each? That's always been a little bit confusing to me.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Kickoff Returns--Straight line speed and ability to judge balls kicked with less arc.

Punt Returns--More of a jitterbug with tremendous quickness and the ability to judge pop ups.

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Punt returners require a big set of balls. You have to be fearless to stand there and catch the ball under extreme pressure. Kickoff returners aren't under any pressure to catch the ball.

I think that's the biggest difference between the two...

5. marcnbc

marcnbc Founding Member

Holiday/S. Green are the types of players you want on PR and a Devery or X-Man are the types you want on KO's(assuming they don't hesitate too much when making decisions).

6. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

It's inexcusable in my mind to allow the guy to continue to play with such a severe injury to the wrist.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Such things happen all the time with a lot of different players. They don't want to sit out... and they are usually your best player so you want to play them. It's a difficult situation. Similar thing happened with Addai.

But this isn't something that only happens with Miles or at LSU. It's everywhere. Corey Webster had a bad hip flexor the entire season his last year here which is why he struggled at times & his draft stock fell, but he was still the best player for the position.

8. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

difference: there were no serviceable running backs behind JA. As we saw from Flynn in the Peach Bowl... not so true at the QB position. completely different argument.

9. edyel

edyel edyel

CP,my mom lives in Mandeville and my sister and brother-in-law live in Covington. They tell me life is hell there with the traffic and population explosion since the sorm last year. I have a nephew from Mandeville who goes to LSU,do you know any Hudson's from there? :helmet:

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Not necessarily. We don't know how confident the coaches were in Flynn at that point. We knew what JaMarcus could do, even with a hurt wrist.