Football tidbits from Jimbo....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by marcnbc, May 24, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I know a Hutson family from Mandeville, don't think I know any hudsons.

The traffic is really bad there since the storm. I'll be driving in at around 5 this evening and am not looking forward to it at all.

2. Berge

Berge Founding Member

We saw a Flynn readied for weeks for Miami. We also saw a Flynn who had no preparation for Georgia. We would have likely seen that SECCG Flynn if he had gone in against Auburn.

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Yeah, since he started the SECCG and all. :dis:

4. Berge

Berge Founding Member

I was talking about Russell coming out of the Auburn game at halftime and throwing Flynn in....

5. youcandoit1687

youcandoit1687 Founding Member

and/or the florida game. the fact is that, at that point, specifically the florida game, JR had had the majority of first team snaps(despite the capOne bowl experience for flynn for last year) and the coaches obviously knew that JR was better at that point in time. im sure if JR had not been able to throw or been in excruciating pain(with the cortisone), the coaches would have done something else. i think we are all too quick to judge the coaching staff when they have tons more information than we do about the situation

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I returned both in High School, and trust me there is a WORLD of difference between the two. On kick-offs, you usually have one of your guys communicating to you about where the coverage guys are, where you are in realtion to the goalline or sideline, or even if you should just let it sail over your head and through the endzone. On punts, you're in an open field with 11 snipers gunning for you, and you have only a few seconds to
    A: decide wether or not to return it.
    B: which direction you're going once you catch it .
    C: Am gonna live to see my momma again.
    Also, on punt returns you need someone who is sure handed, because thet often take a lick as soon as they catch whereas on kick-offs, you have time to tuck it in before contact. The fair catch is invaluable to punt returners, and it only takes one clean lick to learn this one.

7. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

:thumb: Couldn't agree more, especially since it was against one of the best teams in the country.

We can all kinda laugh about it---drop a few "doink" references and chuckle---but I for one would be pretty MF-ing pissed to find out we blew our chances at winning the SEC West because of JR's injury.

Someone has to explain it to me from a football standpoint, seriously. Sure, a semi-gimpy lineman or even a RB can more or less "will" his way thru an injury---think Emmitt against the Giants w/ that separated shoulder---but a QB with a torn tendon in his throwing arm?

With a 100% healthy, experienced and competent QB on the sidelines? Against a top 10 team for supremacy in the SEC West? :confused:

8. TejasTiger

I don't think that's accurate. Flynn wouldn't have just been tossed into the fire without warning as everyone on the staff knew JR was hurt at that time. Remember, he was routinely sitting out of practices the rest of the year and so forth.

Now, if JR had to leave the *Florida* game immediately after the injury first happened, sure, MF woulda been thrown to the wolves without warning.

Besides, you didn't need a perfectly sharp MF, just someone who could throw reliably w/ decent accuracy and not have passes sail or thrown at someone's feet. The film doesn't lie---coaches will pick up on a compromised throwing motion, inconsistent delivery and mechanics and guess that something's not right with a QB. Hell, fans often can pick up on such things, as any Saints fan can tell you about Aaron Brooks the last few weeks of the 2003 season.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

We don't know how the coaches felt about Flynn then. He wasn't very experienced, and the one big time game he played in at that point (Cap One Bowl), he did not look too good. It's obvious that the coaches felt they needed JaMarcus in the game because he gave them the best chance to win. If they thought that Flynn could've done a better job, they would've let him. Even though hurt, JaMarcus was a leader on the team & in the game - the coaches probably felt those aspects overrode having a healthier QB in the game.

10. TejasTiger

What's the standard for letting a punt go when you're lined up inside your own 20? Do you drift back to, say, the 10 yd line and let it go? One of the things that annoys the hell out of me is seeing a guy waive off a punt that hits inside the 10 or 15...then he does *not* try or makes a half-assed attempt to put a hat on the first gunner coming down the field, allowing a ball to get downed inside the 5 or something.

For Pete's sakes, put a hat on someone in that situation!