FootballPerspective.com

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by mctiger, Aug 22, 2019.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I get sick of these sports websites that will give you clickbait lists, like the 20 greatest runs in NFL history, then you quickly realize they think the NFL has only been around since 2005. Found FootballPerspective.com on Twitter the other day. Its a great counterpoint to those sites, but you have to be a stats junkie to enjoy it. Posted a great fact this morning: We all think the game is so evolved now because everyone throws 35-40 times a game. But, in 1962, there were 14 teams in the league, and relocations notwithstanding, all are still active. 11 of the 14 starters for those teams averaged more yards per passing attempt in 1962 than in 2018. There were some great names at QB back then....Unitas for the Colts, Tittle for the Giants, Tarkenton for the Vikes, Meredith in Dallas, Jurgensen in Philly, Starr in GB. but even Milt Plum (7.3) for the Lions outdid Matt Stafford (6.8).

2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Gotta think a major contributor to that would be the evolution to the corner back? Dunno, but even over the last 15 years, the rise of lock down corners has become such a demand

3. mctiger

Probably a part of it. I also think the short passing game is much more a part of game plans today. Look at highlight reels from the old days, and passing to tight ends and receivers was primarily downfield.

4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

I am of the opinion that Johnny U was the best ever

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

About half the the 20 greatest runs were by Bo Jackson.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If a 22 year old Johnny U had become the Patriots QB in 2001 under Bill Belichick would he have equaled Tom Brady's accomplishments?

7. kcal

kcal Founding Member

who knows? I like to think so

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Assuming that Unitas would have had access to more modern training regimens and nutritional and dietary information would he have taken advantage of all that or would he have gone out for pizza and beers.

Would Babe Ruth have been even greater if he had adhered to modern day practices? Still, there is something special about the way the old timers lived their lives off the field and rose to greatness on game day. To paraphase The Chairman of the Board, they did it their way.

mctiger likes this.
  9. mctiger

If you've never read it, by all means track down and read "Instant Replay." Its Jerry Kramer's (finally put in the HoF last year) diary of the Packers' 1967 season, including the Ice Bowl and Super Bowl II. Great perspective on what it was like to be a pro football player in those days, and I believe, one of the best football books ever.

10. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Unfortunately, as a Saints fan, I could never click on that because I know that stupid Marshawn Lynch run will be on there smh. That run definitely deserves to be on there but I hate that it was against the Saints and that it ended our freaking season.

fanatic and Bengal B like this.