For anyone who knows about Miles' offensive philosophy...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, May 22, 2005.

1. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

I love the option, mainly in high school though. Very few schools are married to the option. Most colleges that run the option do so here and there, and they basically run a single or double option with outside zone blocking schemes. I would like to see the Tigers put this in. Would like to see it out of several different formations.

2. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

THIS is what I want to see...

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2003/Columnists/MZ/MMQ/Dec_1.htm

I REALLY hope he pulls this and plays based off of this back out of the hat, because I truly believe the spread option/pass is going to be big.

3. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

Donovan Woods is one of those QBs that can run or throw. However, he was really weak at the quick short routes, but did pretty decent on the longer ones. Intermediate range passing was nothing to write home about either.

When OSU had Josh Fields, who was a respectable passer, Miles took some advantage of the Fields to Rashaun Woods combo, but I think he counted on the run for the most part. Bell/Shaw/Morency were pretty reliable.

Les was an O-lineman at Michigan. O-liinemen like to pound the rock. He's all about the run. OSU had a pretty damn good running game during the Miles era. I'd expect to see a brutal running attack in the next few years.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Modern defenses with speedy linebackers can defend the option sucessfully . . . if they know its in your package. But if used sparingly enough to be a surprize, the option can be very effective in the red zone. If you catch a defense reacting and not playing assignment football, the option can burn them badly.

I doubt if Russell will do much option running, but I suspect Jimbo will make it part of Flynn's and Perrilloux's packages.

5. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

True, but I like to think LSU will recruit any highly-touted All-American from Louisiana, regardless of position or playing style.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Very true. I'm also sure that it didn't hurt that Miles wanted to make a strong intro by getting the most highly touted recruit that LSU was after & Saban couldn't get as well. :hihi: :hihi: