For Martin

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

I thought I understood what you were saying, just wanted to make sure I was on the same page with ya. I'm a stickler for language and how something is written, I write contracts for a living.

And regarding the actual, date, I know there is no date given... which is why I always get a kick out of Doc Brown's line in Back to the future.:D

2. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

Yes Catholics, the Moors and other factions actively spread their beliefs by taking over areas by force in the name of their faith, and were applauded by their countrymen for doing so.
    American men also use actively discipline their wives by beating them with a stick, which was perfectly acceptable in the eyes of society as long as it was with a stick no thicker then beater’s thumb. That does not mean that American male’s today beat their wives is the dishes aren’t cleaned and super isn’t on the table.

My point, once again, is that the modern day average Joe Christian does not go out their way to condemned atheist on a daily basses and make them feel inferior for not believing in the majic man in the sky that us Chritains know as God. In fact, I believe most could care less. Like I said, you can believe in what you want, and I won’t bother you for one second about it. However, when you voice your opinion in a way that insults my beliefs, I will retort.

Hence, the billboard wars between the atheist and Catholics that started this thread. The atheist decided to poke fun at the Christians for believing in what they call a “myth” during a time that they have for centuries, celebrated the birth of the man that is the cornerstone of their beliefs, and the Catholics retaliated.

But hey…it all good. It is their right. Just like it is a man’s right to protest against the war at a solders funeral. However, just because it within one’s rights, does not make it right.

ETA: I see the atheist posting this sign much how I see the Cult Christians yelling at the people enjoying themselves at Mardi Gras. Both acts are rude and disrespectful.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

you sure you live in the South?

4. Bud Lee

Yes...but I drink a lot so maybe I am blind by my drunken utopia to a lot stuff.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

:insane: What in the world are you talking about? You said that Catholics don't actively proselytize, so I pointed out that they do indeed. Get back on topic will you, its not about wife beaters.

And I think you are wearing blinders and seeing what you want to see. Evangelicals make careers out of telling unbelievers that they are going to hell. Catholics, too. Google "evangelical catholics" and learn something.

What exactly have I said that insults your beliefs? If historical facts insult your beliefs, then you really don't want to get in a debate with me, Hoss. I will insult you ruthlessly.

6. Bud Lee

Not a thing Red...in fact your post have been well supported by facts and free of insults. That was a generic "you" not a specific you.

Again...the average everyday Catholic, Baptist, Jew (not Christian I know), etc does not. Although there are extremist groups that do that give all the rest a bad name. For example, not all Islamic followers are terrorist.

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Regardless of whether or not you think the Jesus story is a myth, it's a fact that not only was Christmas piggybacked with the Winter Solstice celebration by Pope Julius, but most of the Christmas traditions that we still practice have pagan origins. I think this is very important to remember when Christians try to monopolize the holiday.

The Pagan Origins of Christmas

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

everything about almost all religions is co-opted from ancient religions. they are themes that resonate with human nature. so over time, like any legend, the details that catch on the most are the ones that stick. religious have had immaculate conceptions (even star wars has that!) and chosen sons and sin and redemption and all this nonsense forever. these themes work on people. there have been a zillion jesuses that are now on the scrapheap of history. dudes that went around doing jesusy things and whatever. only a few jesus-like prophets are still famous now, but that doest make him any different than the others.

bud, i am sorry i was a jerk earlier. so just listen for a moment. you are falling into a logical trap. just because there are two possibilities, that doesnt mean there is eqaul probability that they are true. if you have a 50-sided die, and 49 sides are heads and only one tails, you wouldnt say "well, it can either be heads or tails...50/50". it is true that there only two possibilities, heads or tails, but you seem to believe that for any question, all possibilities are equal.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

i wish this was an islamic billboard. oh man the anger it would cause.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble