For or Against the Dale Brown Tribute......

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Guzzlingil, Feb 27, 2004.

1. gotskeeters

gotskeeters Founding Member

I cannot believe this even a quesion!

FOR it all the way!

2. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I was'nt deciding what threads anybody should participate in. I'm sayin if you were'nt around for the good old days, and all you can base a 25 yr career on is the last few years of it.....think about it.

3. BB

BB Founding Member

I know what you were trying to say - just kidding with you.

4. Tiger John

Tiger John Freshman

I am all for honoring Coach Brown. In his best days he was a motivator, publicist, and philosopher. Coach Brown lived a life that was more than just about basketball. Remember the Hoops for the Homeless and his other philanthropic ventures. I think Coach Brown's demise may have been less tragic if he had had the benefit of an A. D. that held him more accountable. Joe Dean was no help to Coach Brown during his last years.

5. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

STOP KIDDING!

THIS IS SERIOUS SH--!

6. BB

BB Founding Member

What do you think Dale Brown's thoughts are going into tomorrow night?

7. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

BB,
    I dont know what years you started following the Basketball team, but those final fours and all the other times we would go deep in the tournament were a kick in the ass. While NOTHING could be as fun as this past football season, I enjoyed the phuck out of having a top ranked Basketball team...for years. It's sad the Dale era ended the way it did.

8. tigger1

tigger1 Founding Member

hi

I'll repost the short history of LSU basketball before Brown:

A short history of LSU basketball before Brown...
    Before Coach Brown came to LSU, LSU had only won 20 games or more a year 4 times(1916-17, 1952-53, 1953-54, 1969-70). LSU's best years were around the time World War I under Dr. Stroud, Edmonds, Bocock and Gormley in those 9 years LSU was 117-26 81.8% (16 games a year) and it would take another 11 years and averaging 19 games a year for LSU to win the next 117 at a 52.1% winning rate.
    At that time at the end of the 1933 season LSU had an overall record of 248-141 63.7%. Harry Rabenhorst was LSU coach going into the next few years, but the 1933-34 and the 1934-35 teams at that time were LSU's best in its history. LSU had a starting five that could play with anyone at that time the two years LSU went 27-5 combined and won the 1934-35 National Championship and LSU first SEC championship. This would be the end of the Glory years at LSU until Bob Petit.
    LSU over the next 16 went 184-140 56.7% with a few good teams around World War II that won 18 twice and 17 once, while averaging 20.25 games a year. Harry Rabenhorst coached all but the three years he served in WW II.
    The next three years were the Bob Petit years and LSU went 59-15 79.7% while making the final four one year and winning the SEC championship twice(LSU didn't play Kentucky both of those years).
    An All time LSU team at this time would look like this:
    C Bob Petit
    F Frank Brian
    F Buddy Blair
    G Joe Dean
    G Sparky Wade
    LSU's All Americans up to that time were:
    Sparky Wade
    Bob Petit
    LSU overall record at this time was 518-301 63.2% and Bob Petits last year was the last year LSU had a winning record other than the 13-11 1961-62 team until Pete Mavavich's Soph. year.
    Over the next 13 years LSU went 110-212 34.1% while averaging
    24.7 games a year. During this time LSU was coached by Rabenhorst (3 years), Jay McCreary (the same coach who lost to the famous Hossier movie team in the simis, 8 years), Frank Truitt for 1 year and Press Maravich first year. LSU's overall record at the time of Pete's frist year was 628-513 55.0%.
    During Petes' three years LSU was 49- 35 58.3% and won 22 games and made the NIT (LSU first post season since Petit) in 1969-70 season. In that Nit tournament LSU lost its last game to Bob Knight's Army team. Press's last two years LSU went 24-28 46.1%. The only change to the LSU all time team would be Pete for Dean or Wade(5'7")
    So in the long history of LSU basketball up to the time Coach Brown came here, LSU was 691-576 54.5%.
    LSU had been to the NCAA twice with a 2-4 record, the Nit once with a 2-2 record.
    LSU had won the SEC Championship three times.
    LSU won one National Championship, this was before the NCAA had its tourament.
    LSU had won:
    22 games twice in one season
    20 games twice in one season
    19 games twice in one season
    18 games twice in one season
    17 games twice in one season

and now what did Coach Brown do at LSU?
    All time winningest coach in LSU basketball history
    Beat Ky more than any coach in basketball history
    Won the SEC more than all other LSU coaches combined
    Went to 2 final fours.
    Won 31 games in one season, only Kentucky and Arkansas have won over 30 in a season. Remember Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Ole Miss, Miss St, Vandy and Tennessee haven't done that.
    etc.

The question shouldn't be are we for or against honoring Coach Brown, but why did it take so long?

Remember also all the coaches that spoke up against the NCAA, the NCAA came back and nailed that school other than Temple and Georgetown.

:lsug:

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Very Nice post tigger1

Remember also all the coaches that spoke up against the NCAA, the NCAA came back and nailed that school other than Temple and Georgetown.

That says it all.

The NCAA are a bunch of Nazis that discriminate in every way possible.

Perfect example they didn't go after Temple and Georgetown.

I'm sure some of their kids played on those 2 teams

10. tigger1

tigger1 Founding Member

hi

:geaux:

Look at it this way the NCAA nailed LSU to the wall for 5k and a medical help.

Michigan pays 650k for 5 players and gets nothing.

Got to love the NCAA, the NCAA knows what is going on across the nation and the only time they raise up to act on something is if it hits home to them or it makes major news across the country like Bama and 100k for means(plus the NCAA has been after them since the 70's when Bryant talked how bad the NCAA was).

:lsug: