$$$ for Seimone

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dupzales, Apr 5, 2006.

1. dupzales

dupzales Founding Member

I've never really paid that much attention, but what kind of money does a #1 pick in the WNBA draft get?

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Not much ... $42,400 is the salary cap for rookies picked 1-4. Not sure what kind of bonus they get, if any.

WNBA Salary Scale

3. clair

clair Rockets

$42,400, BUT the shoe contract is much more... probably around $100,000

4. Broke

Broke Founding Member

Quite a disparity among males and females. I can't say I have ever watched a WNBA game. I'm just not a fan of professional sports. They do it solely for the money. College players do it solely for the ring and bragging rights. And then maybe a couple bucks later.

5. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I always loved it when I'd hear the occational person say, what if Seimone doesnt come back for her senior year...lol...You get TONS more attention playing womens college basketball than you do playing in the WNBA. I hope she goes on to be successful in the league. I never see WNBA games on t.v. Do they still come on lifetime?

6. Victory4LSU

Victory4LSU Founding Member

Thats a joke. MOST of the really talented college athletes use college purely as a stepping stone to the big $$$ of the pros. If that were not the case we would not see the mass exodus of young, underclassmen, college players to the pros that we have been seeing for the past 5 years or more. Maybe the ring and bragging rights was the motivation way back when buit it's not anymore, only in rare cases.

7. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

She would be better off finding her a good job.

8. Victory4LSU

Victory4LSU Founding Member

The wnba would be a good job. Not many college grads make much more than 42k, if that right out of the box these days. yes some do but I bet the vast majority dont. Not only would she be fulfilling a lifelong dream but with incentives that come with being a top pick and/or premier player she could make pretty good money. certainly alot more than just jumping into the workforce. Plus the connections she will make could pave the way for a great career that could be sports related after her bb career ends. She could end up with a shoe company gig or something along those lines or in a non sports related gig.

9. Broke

Broke Founding Member

Way to burst my bubble. Now I have to stop watching college games too!:cry:

10. freddy

freddy Founding Member

Seimone is one of the few lucky ones. She already has a shoe contract from Nike that will pay her nicely although not near the mutli-millions Lebron and Carmelo recieved. I'm sure she will also have some other endorsements that will guarantee her a 6 figure income throughout her basketball career. But again I would guess few WNBA players at the most are in her situation.