For those people needing car parts ($50 off $125 online order at advance auto parts)

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by islstl, Apr 26, 2014.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

And now its chirping like a gang of crickets is held up in there. Looks like I get to do it all over again. Next time I will pull the fan.

2. shane0911

Turns out I didn't have the pulley pushed on quite far enough. A few more cranks on the little gadget and the crickets went away. Damn thing is leaking like no tomorrow though. Pretty sure I don't have one of the lines tight enough and it is going to be fun trying to get back on it while the pump is attached.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

OK, so I have a loud buzzing noise coming from my engine compartment or firewall area. It changes pitch along with engine speed. Might be a speedometer cable going bad. What else could it be?

LSUDad likes this.
  4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Depends on what you drive and the age. Most don't have a cable, most of the newer use fly by wire, no cable.
    If yours uses a cable, you could disconnect where it goes into the trans. Tape up the cable and inlet. See if that stops the noise

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If its not your speedo cable its gotta be something worse

6. shane0911

Gonna need more than that amigo. Buzzing like how? Like a bee or like a baseball card in bicycle spoke?

Fixed my leak btw. Another half turn on the bolt. Pretty sure I left out an O ring or something else but it is tight enough to slow it down to where it is manageable

LSUDad likes this.
  7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Could be anything connected to your surpentine belt. Idler pulley, water pump, power steering, a/c, etc. Could be a wheel bearing, but that is more with vehicle speed, not engine speed. Will it do it in neutral sitting still but revving the engine? Could be your transmission pump. A/C/Heat working ok? Common problem on Explorers is the blend door actuator breaking and it making a clicking noise.

LSUDad likes this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Just like a loud bee.

Well that is enough to keep me busy . . .

KyleK likes this.
  9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

@red55 loud bee eliminates the blend door. I would focus on the things connected to the belt first, then (much smaller chance) the transmission pump.

10. shane0911

Take the belt off, usually just a tension release, and then spin all the pulleys. They will either spin nicely or feel like there are crushed up rocks in there.

Oh, be sure you diagram how the belt goes before you take it off.