Former LSU S&C Coach Rob Oviatt

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cadillacattack, Aug 21, 2006.

1. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

What can you tell me about Rob Oviatt? He was LSU's strength & conditioning coach for the '97 & '98 seasons ...... was he great or just good. Why do you feel Saban didn't keep him on?

2. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

cause saban had a chance to get the best in moffit. Also 98 we had a really bad year and also saban didn't come here til 2000 so it wasn't him who didn't keep him on.

3. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

only thing I really remember was that alot of our players put on a lot of size but lost a little speed. Did Au hire him? If so Im sure he is pretty good considering how good Tubs is at hiring coaches.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I ain't sure why Oviatt left. But most do think that Nick upgraded considerably by hiring Tommy Moffitt to replace him, however.

Saban went through a lot of assistants in five years. He was very insistent that a coach do his job properly and it had to be done Nick's way and with the same intensity that Nick had about the game. He was a control freak. Assistant coaches could not talk to the media.

Assistants that didn't cut it in Nick's system were quickly dismissed and assistants that had ideas of their own sometimes left for a place where they could personally flourish outside of Nick's rigid system.

5. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

no, Auburn didn't hire him. IMO, most on the Plains seem very satisfied with Yoxell.

Naw, I was just breaking down some stuff on our opening opponent, WSU. Oviatt is the s&c guy over there and i'm looking for background on him in particular..... noticed he seemed to be successful at LSU but then was term'd. Oviatt was the SEC S&C Coach of the Year in both '97 and '98.

[​IMG]