Frank Herron arrested

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mctiger, Apr 28, 2014.

1. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

So can 16yr olds. Its all relative, gramps.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

At 16 you are not expected to be fully responsible. At 19 the law requires you to be so, junior.

3. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

In my view this has been done somewhat selectively. Just my opinion as an old school disciplinarian type. Many will disagree and that's OK with me.

Referring to TM7, it only happened after about a half dozen "second" chances after it was abundantly clear that no force on earth including LSU football was coming between him and his weed. He only did it when his hand was forced by being continually ignored and disrespected. I believe that since the whole team knew he couldn't/wouldn't stop smoking no matter how many times he got caught, it made Miles look weak if he didn't take strong action. Same with RP. How many different serious issues did it take before Miles finally dropped the hammer?

I like and respect coach Miles for what he's done as far as football results and as far as trying his honest best to get those results the right way. And I was not always behind him. However I don't see this as a minor issue like he does and would love to see Herron sit out a game or two. If it were a college kid prank wind sprints and community service would be fine. According to the article linked, he admitted stealing the bike. What if was your bike or your kids bike? What if was a car? A 6 carat diamond ring? How expensive does the stolen item have to be to warrant getting a real punishment for the crime, while still being afforded a second chance to redeem oneself and get past it? Dude needs to be suspended. How long is debatable. Wind sprints and community service is a bullshit slap on the wrist.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I am ok with wind spints and Community Service for a misdemeanor or citiation for stealing crab legs. Had it been a felony (car, diamond ring, a pallet of crab legs, etc..) a suspension or more punishment would suffice IMO.

cajdav1 likes this.
  5. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

No matter what happens, Miles will take a public beating for how he handles it, despite his history of showing big shots the door. Meanwhile, half of aTm's squad has been arrested this offseason, yet you won't hear a peep about Sumlin not being hard on his players when they suit-up for game 1. The Hatter just needs to do what he thinks is right and give a big ol' "FUCK IT" to what everyone else thinks.

StaceyO and Winston1 like this.
  6. TigerBacker70

Yeah, that's where we differ. I'd personally like to see felons in jail and not on the field with my football team. Wishful thinking, I know.

Wind sprints and community service are for missing a class or practice or meeting. Late for curfew. Dogging it in practices. Fighting with a team mate in practice. Misdemeanors should at least warrant sitting out some time form actual game action, how long dependent on the seriousness and circumstances of the crime. Felonies should land you both in jail and off the team. But I have to remember these 17-23 year old people are still just "kids" when it comes to any culpability and accountability for their stupid and often criminal actions. They're only men when it comes to demanding to be paid for their work.

7. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

The Aggies have enjoyed picking on the "Bonghorns" over the past couple of decades. Now, the Horns fans are definitely making quite a few peeps in taking return shots at the Aggies due to their recent off field issues.

8. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

The way I read the article even the cops didn't think the person (I'm assuming Herron) on the bike thought it was stolen. Yes, the article also says that Herron admitted to the theft, but we don't know the circumstances of the admission or what he said. It could have been something as simple as "Yeah, I took the bike."

I'm not running down cops, but they're human and get things wrong just like everybody else. I recently had a case where a couple of guys were arrested on armed robbery with a firearm, a felony carrying 105 years in jail with no possibility of probation, parole or suspension of sentence. After going over the reports with the DA and talking with the detective assigned to investigate, it turns out the "firearm" was a BB gun, the guy holding it was drunk (and he never pointed it at anybody), the other guy was engaged in a mutual fight with the alleged victim and the alleged victim dropped his 5-year-old cellphone that the guy he was fighting with picked up but later gave back to the dude he was fighting. My guys were ultimately billed with aggravated assault (misdemeanor), simple battery (misdemeanor) and attempted misdemeanor theft. They pleaded no contest and were sentenced to the 2+ months they had already served.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we have no idea what the details are here. But if it turns out to be something more than a prank and Herron is ultimately convicted, I'd expect CLM to adjust his punishment.

9. TigerBacker70

Where the hell is armed robbery with a firearm an offense carrying a 105 year sentence with no possibility of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence? I've never heard of a place where even aggravated 1st degree murder has that stiff a sentence.

As far as the topic at hand, I presumed "Herron admitting to the theft" meant exactly that - that he stole a bike and admitted to the police that he did. Maybe that means something else that I'm too dumb to understand? If so and it's some sort of prank then a severe punishment is not in order.

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

This quote in the article makes the whole thing incredibly confusing:
    The only way it makes sense is that if Frank stole it and gave it to someone else, who did not know that he had stolen it. The way I understood it originally, it was Frank who was spotted riding the bike, but that may not be the case.

shane0911 likes this.