Fried Shrimp Po Boy

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by pabwork, Jun 27, 2011.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I can call Haley at work (she works at Rouse's grocery, thanks Wee ;) ) and have her bring some home anytime I want :)

2. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

Whatever Parkway Bakery does is what you should do.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Ew...I'd have to stab their eyes out with my fork.

4. StaceyO

bragger...

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i was down there this past weekend, and the first thing i had was a softshell crab. big fat sucker, too. delish!

i think i may have enjoyed it almost too much. the friend i was out to dinner with just sat there watching me like "damn, you like softshell crab, dont you?!" i savored every bite.

now im back in the land of the culinary impaired. it'll be a while before i get another. :(

6. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I got the fried shrimp at Mulate's two weekends ago on my way back to Houston. They weren't on a po boy but they were the best fried shrimp I've had in a long time. Crisp, seasoned, perfectly cooked, and not greasy. If they had been sitting on the right French bread it would have been absolute heaven.

7. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Excellent. That is exactly the way I cook them. Nice and simple. Some people like a lot of batter, but that just gets in the way of the shrimp. I throw them in a ziploc bag with the Zatarain's and bounce them around a bit right before they hit the oil (Cottonseed oil when I can get it). Oh, and I only use Zatarain's Seasoned fish fry. Not unseasoned, not Southern Crispy or any of that other nonsense. I have been known to add some Tony's to the bag when I am not making them for wimps.

I am heading to Thigh-bo-de-ax for a 4 day weekend and I plan to hit Flanigan's, Half Shell, and Politz for a number of fried seafood feasts along with frying some up at my folks house with some good po-boy bread. I will leave a trail of oil back to Dallas on Tuesday.

8. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I've had them with remoulade sauce instead of mayo and enjoyed that.

9. StaceyO

That sounds really good, actually.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I ate some really good fried green tomatoes with remoulade sauce recently. I bet that a fried green tomato remoulade poboy would be excellent.