Frosh RB's

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CJD4LSU, Sep 9, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

A redshirt & a medical redshirt are not the same thing. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, just that it isn't the standard procedure that you think. There is a lot of paperwork & proof that has to go into getting a medical redshirt as I understand it, so it is doubtful that they fake it with several freshmen every year.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Keiland came from a military academy where he played college level competition. He should've been ahead of any HS back.

I don't think they would not redshirt him just to keep him in shape. The coaches told him he would not redshirt, and he showed enough in the short while he was there to get a few snaps.

3. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

Then JV should give up his spot for Richard.

4. CJD4LSU

CJD4LSU Founding Member

I might be in favor of that if JV doesn't show us something soon. He is not the same back that he was on 2003...no matter what kind of excuses are being made in his defense. He is being too timid when he hits the hole...almost like he is waiting on the defender to come tackle him. My coaches in high school used to call it tip toeing...

JV....stop tip toeing and run hard!:thumb:

5. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

If you play one down, you cannot redshirt unless you have an injury within the first three games. Then it has to be cleared by the NCAA. But if you play one down, your redshirt is gone.....whether it be the first game or last.

6. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

The NCAA is a lot stricter on medical redshirts than you think. People get turned down by the NCAA sometimes...

7. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Correct. You have to apply for the medical waiver.

If I get hurt during the season, do I lose that season of eligibility?
    A student-athlete who plays in a single contest is considered to have used an entire year of competition in that respective sport. Should a student-athlete get injured or have a personal affect which forces them to step away from the sport prematurely during the season, a student-athlete may have the opportunity to have this year of competition stricken from their record by filing a Medical Hardship Waiver. In order for a Hardship Waiver to be granted there must be an incapacitating injury or illness which forces the student-athlete to miss the rest of the playing season. There must be medical documentation (trainers, doctors, hospital receipts) that states the nature of the injury and establishes the student-athlete’s inability to compete. The injury must have occurred during the first half of the playing season AND the student-athlete must not have competed in more than three contests or one-third of the total number of scheduled contests (whatever number is greater). The waiver is processed through the conference office and is granted or denied based on the application presented.

8. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

I would really like for the coaches to redshirt one of them, so that there is an extra year in there that we have an experienced RB. In other words, so all 3 don't leave at the same time and in the end we can have an experienced RB to compliment the new comers in the future. I would say Murphy would have to that redshirt since he hasn't played.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

The NCAA is very strict when it comes to giving someone who has used up their eligibility in granting redshirts. They are not strict when it comes to granting the medical waiver for true freshmen that appeared in last than 3 games. It has become common place and they pretty much rubber stamp the applications. Now, if a guy has played 3 seasons and gets hurt in his 4th they are real strict, sometimes even when a guy gets hurt during his second or third season if they have already redshirted.

10. 00Tiger

00Tiger Founding Member

I don't think so, when was the last time LSU has done this with a player, I can't remember 1 in the last 10 years or so that has played as a freshman for the 1st 3 games the mysteriously disappeared for the rest of the season and received a medical red-shirt because of it.

Go down and look at our roster, pick out the redshirts, then see if they played their freshman year or if they were seriously hurt or not, I bet you don't find any that played one or two games and still received a redshirt.