Full of wools on black creek

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Oct 12, 2014.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Went yesterday morning to thin some tree rats down around my primary stand on black creek. They are thick as always in there and first 2 were clean but the next 3 were eat up with wools so I stopped shooting. First I've seen in about 5 years. Wound up just clearing some shooting lanes and killin snakes. Really dry so so lots of cottonmouths around the slough my stands are by. Not much water there either but the pools holding water in the slough and the beaver pond it drains out of are about the only water around except the creek itself so there are a bunch of them hangin in that water. Killed 8 within 100 yards of my ladder and 3 more on the other side by my lock on. No tellin how many I didn't see.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Kill 'em all.

What are wools? Worms? I've heard a lot of people around here say they had some with "worms."

3. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Wools wolves worms lots of names for them. Technically they are bot fly larva. They grow in the squirrels skin and make big ugly puss filled lumps on the squirrel. They are just in the skin and the meat is fine to eat I just can't bring myself to eat em when they have them. Just nasty lookin. When the larva matures they drop out of the squirrel and go in the ground where they morph into flies. Within a couple days you can't tell they were ever there on the squirrel.

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

We always called them wools.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Thanks for helping me stay on my diet. I was hungry

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Where I grew up, wool was something you got on the weekends. That's back when a bush was a bush and before the mange got in them drawers.