FURY

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by CajunlostinCali, Jan 29, 2015.

1. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Great flick. Watched 3 times over 2 days and I can honestly say it may never get old. Not a huge fan of Brad Pitt, but the dude has shown a particular enjoyment with the slaughter of nazi's. I share that same affinity for killin nazi's. Worst race of humans this world has ever seen. Film was very well done and with only a few slips in tactical representations, done purposely I am sure for cinema.

If you dig killin Germans near as much as I do and you hadn't seen it 3 times, do. If you have seen it, buy it. I think this one belongs in any great war collection, like mine.

2. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

Even though I have German heritage, we played soldier when I was a kid and we offed a bunch of Krauts. Japs too. Since then we have had an exchange student from both countries. Funny how the world changes. Hell, Japan was our ally in WWI.

3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Every heritage has a little something in their closet I am sure most folks are not proud of. I love being an American but take no pride in the slaughter of native Americans nor the promotion of slavery. Like I said, I have nothing against todays German. I lived there for 7 years and other than their winters, I love their country along with many of their cultural offerings.

None of that takes away from my hate of all things nazi. My grandfather died over there, buried now in France. The nazi is the second worst human being this world has ever known next to the white trash that worship them today. At least the nazi took their aim whereas now we have these fucking rednecks that hail them bastards to support their own misguided cause.

As for the flick, I am a huge fan of tank warfare. Never has there been a movie that depicted the life of a tank crew better than this one. It was their attitude towards the extermination of the nazi I found moving. There seemed to be a disconnect between who they were fighting and the population caught up in that fight. I expected it to be a gross misrepresentation of the conflict as it was seen from the tank crewmen. I was surprised to see it was very well done with few things to suggest otherwise. I don't watch too many movies with this level of interest, much less start a thread for them. This one was well worth it.

MikeInLa likes this.
  4. Tiger Exile

I almost bought it yesterday while at Wallyworld. Now I wish I had. I love military history and took several courses at LSU including History of WWII. Thanks for the review.

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I didn't have much interest....Pitt and Shia don't exactly inspire thoughts of great acting for me and I haven't been a huge fan of David Ayer other than U571. However, your review carries some gravitas. I did some more reading of reviews to get an idea what others thought. Mostly pretty good. Internet bloggers and hack movie reviewers should really get themselves an editor. Check out this paragraph opening sentence....
    "Born in 1968, and therefore of a prime generational cohort to be susceptible to the romantic allure of the Second World War as the last clearly defined, morally unambiguous and politically consensual conflict fought by the United States – and more likely steeped in Sylvester Stallone Rambo revisionism and Saving Private Ryan retro-romanticism than the grand tradition of anti-war movies – Ayer is drawn to the fields of nearly defeated Germany for obvious reasons" o_O

I also read that Ayer was on deck to direct a remake of The Wild Bunch starring.....Will Smith. I pray it fails to ever get to the screen.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The Fresh Prince of Texas?

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

will smith and coach o in a movie. its going to work.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There was a pretty good one in 1988 called The Beast about a Soviet tank trapped beyond their lines by the Mujahideen in Afghanistan. It never plays on TV, but it is worth a look if you can.

9. Tiger Exile

That was a pretty good movie. There was nothing cozy about life in that tank.

red55 likes this.
  10. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Movies just haven't been the same to me once I got past the make out and other stuff in the balcony stage of life. Damn, those days were fine, and I presume the movies were good, too! Been a long time!