Future of John Brady

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerjeffrey, Mar 13, 2005.

1. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

First of all, the discussion is moot b/c there is no way Skip is going to fire Brady, at least this year. Secondly, I've thought about this, and there are several reasons to keep Brady. and several to replace him. For those who argue that he is not a good coach, that is just plain silly. He is a very good coach. My biggest concern w/ him is the rash of player defections over the past years, and the lack of bench depth. That situation should be better at this point in his tenure. I still say Skip should evaluate the situation at season's end, but, given the performance of the team this year, and the players coming in next year, I don't think he will fire Brady, nor should he IMHO.

For those of you who count yourselves among the "Brady Bashers," ask yourselves, in your own job, in your own life, do you hold yourself to the same standard that you hold basketball coach Brady? Sure, the guy ain't perfect and has made mistakes, but on the whole, he's brought much more positives than negatives to the table. People tolerate slack performance and mistakes in their own job performance, and we forgive politicians their pecadillos, but God forbid a coach not give 120% and perform flawlessly.

Me thinks our society's priorities are way out of whack.:nope:

2. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

It's silly to even think his situation would even be discussed after the season except to give the man a WELL DESERVED RAISE!!! Down with the haters!!!

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Those player defections is a non-issue, or should I say a TE issue. The Bashers like to forget that we were on probation which severely limited the selection of recruits from which to choose. Brady chose several questionable characters and either ran them off because they wouldn't comply with his system or they ran themselves off for whatever reasons. The team and the program was/is better off without them. The players that remain want to win and are willing to do whatever is necessary.

4. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Is it possible for a coach to get better and better as the seasons progress?

I honestly would like to know.

We know that humans get better at skills when they practice and have experience. Jean Lafitte was a better commerce raider at age 35 than he was at age 22. Vince Lombardi, was not an early 19th Century commerce raider and Louisiana hero. Was he a better football coach in 1966 than he was in 1960? Maybe. Colon cancer killed Vince Lombardi before his time. Who knows to what more he would have accomplished, if he had lived (and been smart enough not to take the HC job for the John Mecom, Jr.-owned New Orleans Saints)?

My point is that I really hope that coaches can and do improve. If this is true, maybe John Brady is better now as a coach than he was one or two years ago.

That's a nice thought! Even people who have doubts about JB may want to think about that.

5. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

So, SabanFan at least acknowledges the mistakes that Brady made in bringing in questionable talent, and the compounding of those mistakes by the lack of mulligans available to this program because of its precarious scholarship situation. That to me in and of itself should be enough to show he doesn't know how to properly administrate a program, nor recruit.

Secondly, SabanFan wishes to talk about "the recruits" that wanted to stay here...Please explain how "questionable characters" like JueMichael Young, Jaime Lloreda, etc., were allowed to stay? Please explain how Regis Koundjia became a pariah and a questionable character over the course of one season-in which he hasn't been here since the outset? Is it because he's just a reprehensible individual? I'm sure that's it, and I'm SURE that's the explanation for everyone else leaving, too, right?

As for the initial post in this thread, and the talk of "holding someone accountable", and whether or not we hold our own selves accountable and to the same standards? Give me a break...

I have never publicly cursed at co-workers or called them names. I've never purposefully blamed subordinates for mistakes that were no one's fault. I've also never displayed the negative character qualities he put on PUBLIC display in a PUBLIC forum that John Brady has. I am speaking NOTHING OF Basketball.

The comparison is a moot point, in reality. I did not take a job in the public eye as the face of a University Athletics Program. John Brady did. His standard is higher. His mistakes are public. Mine are not. If he doesn't wish for his mistakes to become public knowledge, then perhaps he should go back to Crowley High, or better yet, get a job working for the State of Louisiana.

Either way, what I'm hearing from this thread is that Brady shouldn't have to be faulted for making mistake after mistake when there was no margin for error, and that every player he's EVER run off has been the one with the problem...Not him...

Wishful thinking at its best...especially from one of the more respected posters on this site...

6. BB

BB Founding Member

Brilliant!

You are speaking nothing of basketball because John Brady's performance has figuratively shut you up - it's the literal sense that we all wish you would adhere to.

The play of this team down the stretch has been incendiary and Brady's positive results on the hard wood have backed you into a corner. Now, you only have three possible responses:

1. "I know you are but what am I."

2. "I'm rubber and you're glue, what you say bounces off of me and sticks to you."

or, and this is the route you've chosen

3. "It doesn't matter how much he wins, it's beyond wins and losses becuase he is a man of poor character, blah, blah, blah..."

Of course you say it's beyond winning and losing becuase you have no choice at this point. You are beating a drum that no one else is hearing these days. Keep beating it and I'm sure things will work out for you.

Hint: if 90% of people do not like you or your assertions, you may want to reevaluate and spend some time looking within.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Brady has said repeatedly that he wished Regis would not have left, that he really loved the kid and it hurt him when he made that decision. Where do you get your "Pariah" and questionable character statements from? All B.S., that's where.

But most of all is the status of the program currently not any indication whatsoever of his abilities to administer it or recruit? I believe it is.

Knocking Brady for bringing in Lloreda and Young over and over is really tiresome, as others have stated. You are just blinded by your hatred of the man and the facts that since you have gone out on the limb so many times that you have to keep harping on those things. If Brady won a national championship or 3 and every player he recruited graduated with no incidents over the next 10 years you would still be harping on the same things.

8. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

I have a question for TE. Why do you assume that Brady "ran off" every player that left the program? Don't you think it possible that many, if not all, the players that left did so because they perhaps reassessed their situation(s) as regards to playing time or school, homesickness or any other of a myriad of reasons? Immaturity, perhaps? I look at Tack Minor's relationship with Brady and think that if he can stick it out, anyone with any maturity and a reasonable satisfaction with his situation should be able to.

9. BB

BB Founding Member

I think the fact that so many players have split should cause some concern, but TE is obsessed with it. Lloreda was a thug - so what? We are beyond Lloreda now.

Saban had things like this happen. Remember the Damien James fiasco? What about Barrington Edwards? Abram Booty? Lavelle Hawkins? Why do we not harp on these things? Because he did his job - he WON!

10. -T-

-T- Founding Member

1. right now there's 7 players who get good playing time..........the probation years it was the same, with the same type of players on the bench.

2. before the year, the majority of the fans(radio, internet, talk aroud town) was that brady needs to win one in the ncaa tourney or be gone. this team was supposed to be like this. they were just plain horrible early on. what happens if they lose in the first round? should we be happy just by getting there?

it obvious fans still don't like brady from the attendance figures in the last home games. i just hope we don't have anoher game like we had aganst purdue two years ago. then, we'd be back to square one.