Gallup poll shows no bump for DNC Convention

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by islstl, Aug 2, 2004.

1. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

A true democracy would require a popular vote for everything from speed limits to decisions to go to war. Is this practical? This is why we have a republic. It is impossible for a nation of this size to have a true democracy. This is why we have representatives who speak supposedly for the constituents of the states they represent. Every individual cannot be represented. That would lead to anarchy and chaos. That is why we are represented collectively as a group. There is much more I could say, but unfortunately I don't have time right now. A true democracy is not practical and is impossible. Our founding fathers deserve credit for their ability to see this.

2. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Founding Member

Nice thought, but it's never going to happen. You just can't please a liberal...
    they always have to find something to bitch about. It's what defines them.

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

It's called a representative democracy, which is what the United States is. Our whole government is based on the citizens electing people to represent them in government. It is not a direct democracy where the people control evrything and have unlimited power through their votes. Our representatives legislate and enact laws as representatives of our best interests.

This is a form of checks and balances really. If the people had direct unlimited power through a direct or pure democracy, then things would get out of hand. By the same token, if government officials had unlimited power the same thing would happen.

The Electoral College was created in part to keep this separation of powers between the people and government, to maintain the checks and balances. Believe what you must, but the people ARE voting for president as the electorates of each state are representatives of the people within the state.

Our constitution is modeled to give each individual state a representative form of government. Each state has its own set of electoral representatives who cast their votes based on the popular vote in their state. The overall popular vote may not reflect the actual winner of a presidential election. However, the pupular vote within each individual state DOES determine the president.

Remember, it's the United States of America. Each state still has it's individual recognition and in the case of the presidential selection, each state is tallied separately of all others and casts its own vote(s) for president. I am going to stop talking about that because I will only get repetitive. I fear you won't understand anyways.

People who suggest getting rid of the Electoral College really are just not able to see the big picture or are just simply not familiar with the intentions of our founding fathers and the way the constitution was modeled. The Electoral College system has worked very well for over 200 years and because of an unfavorable outcome in the past election people want to scrap the whole system... Nonsense!

In 2000, I was one of the people who voted for Gore. Do I feel as if my vote was stripped from me? No! I voted here in Louisiana and the popular vote in this state went to Bush. If I lived in Florida, I would certainly have some doubts about whether or not my state had failed me, but that is a completely different discussion.

I just do not understand why some people feel the WHOLE COUNTRY's votes were wasted because of issues in Florida. In every other state the popular vote determined the electorates for Bush and for Gore in eahc respective state. Ya ya know what, when all was said and done, the very same thing happened in Florida. The popular vote in Florida, which went to Bush in Florida after all was said and done, determined that Florida's electorates voted for Bush. This was, after all, decided by the Supreme Court who uses the Constituion as it's guide.

Anyways, the notion of scrapping the Electoral College system is ludicrous at best. We live and participate in a representative democracy and thigns such as the Electoral College are symbolize the very fabric of such a system.

(grrrr I just made a long winded political post)

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Give me a break. This forum is a bitchfest deluxe . . . and 90% of the posts are ultra-conservative. If there is anything that spans the entire range of the political spectrum it is bitching about anything one disagrees with. :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

Thats the problem. IN LA., 30-40 percent of the people voted for Gore but their votes were ignored. You're right, we have a representative democracy b/c it's impossible to vote for everything and every issue. We elect representatives to make those decisions for us. But we have the right to elect our representative who will make those decisions. We are talking of the most powerful position in the world and the people don't decide. The states are made of people. Our title is United STATES which means we are still one combined state. The people should decide and with the technology we have today it is easily possible. I don't understand how you guys can be against a popular vote deciding it all. We need to rid oursleves of the electoral college. It was put in place b/c a national election wasn't possible at the time, now it is possible. Why are you scared of a national election? I'm not saying this b/c of the 2000 election. It is principle. The only way I would agree with keeping the electoral college is if it wasn't a winner take all system and the votes were proportionalized.

6. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

7. LSUGradin99

United STATES of America. Each state is a participant of a representative democracy in which each individual state has representation in a united formation of states which comprise the country as a whole. Louisiana held its own popular election and the majority in Louisiana voted for Bush. The state's electorates went to the winner of the state, Bush. My vote was NOT ignored. The votes of those people who voted for Bush were not ignored either. What you are suggesting is we re-write the moral fabric of our country, the very constitution that has kept this country srtrong for over two centuries.................

I will humor you to some extent though because I do actually understand your point of view, although I disagree with it. If you truly want the Electoral college to be done away with then elect representatives that agree with your point of view. If you feel you are in a majority of people who share your point of view then such representatives will only naturally be eleceted anyways.

Now, all people who want the Electoral College done away with should urge their representatives on the state and federal levels to do just that. This will require two-thirds both houses of Congress though to get the ball rolling. Afterwards, three fourths of all states will have to sign off on it as well (this is where your elected state representatives come in). It's called a constitutional amendment.

There, you see, the Eelctoral College can be done away with.

On the other hand, if you are in the minority on the issue of removing the Electoral College, then you must accept it and learn to truly appreciate the representative democracy you live and participate in. Personally I do not want to see Louisiana lose it's representation in presidential elections.

8. LSUGradin99

Only a few sentences into that I saw talk of minorities and disenfranchisement. This is NOT a purple, red, blue, orange, white, pink, black, yellow, orange issue. It's a Red, White, and Blue issue.

9. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

if you hate the sytem so much, then you should revolt and just not vote, either way your vote doesn't matter right? :rofl: :wink:

10. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

It talks of all the flaws of the system, not just disenfranchisement of minority voters but of all voters. I will push for the system to be changed. Each person is represented and the only way that happens is if they get to pick their representors and under todays system that doesn't happen.