Gallup poll shows no bump for DNC Convention

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by islstl, Aug 2, 2004.

1. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

HUH???????????????

2. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

3. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

In democracy each person should always be represented when issues come up in national politics. The only ways people are represented is if they actually pick their representatives. The president is represenatative of the people.

4. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Do you not agree that the people pick their president? It may not be exactly how you would like to see it done, but the people pick the president nonetheless.

As I said before, I understand your point of view. More action and less complaining though would suffice. The action being as I suggested earlier in electing people that represent your views.

I am afraid however that you are in the minority in this point of view of removing the Electoral College. Because of this, your view will never be adopted into policy and as a result of it you will complain till the end of time. Complaining for no reason other than your opinion does not agree with the majrity of people in your democratic country.

Wanting a democratic system but complaining about it when it does not suit your opinions or individual needs and caters to the majority in a democratic process is........... well............... nevermind.

5. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

Why have a president and representatives. To be totally fair, shouldn't we have around 180 million or so voting age Americans in Washington balancing the budget, handling national security issues, healthcare etc.?

6. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

It's not a democratic system. The president is elected by a system that partially represents the people but not in a way in which the people are given the final say. The reform of the electoral system is growing in popularity so don't get too comfortable.

7. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

What about some of the votes of the military that was thrown out??
    That was probably for Bush.

Its funny how you want to site the votes on your side that didn't get counted while ignoring the votes on the other side that didn't get counted.

Typical

Talk about fairness and democracy?

Is that what happened when Al Gore and the Dems had recounts in Democratic districts only??

8. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

marcm99, do you need glasses? Can you read? I already said that would be impossible and that is why we have representatives. We, the people, should be allowed to elect our representatives, though.

9. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

Sourdoughman, why did you bring that up. Number one, you can't prove that happened. Number 2, I wasn't being partisan. In LA, Gore should have received some electoral votes and Bush should have received most of them. It should go by proportion. I never mentioned votes in FLA being thrown out or anything like that. This debate is about the credibility of the electoral college.

10. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

so if 60% of america votes for 1 candidate and 40% the other, to be fair and proportional, both candidates should sit in a dual-type presidential role with the winner having 60% of the power and the loser 40% (to be sure everyone's wishes are represented accordingly). And what about those who vote for the Ross Perot and Ralph Nader's of the world? This is the only way to be perfectly fair and make sure we are all represented accordingly in a presidential election, right.