Gallup poll shows no bump for DNC Convention

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by islstl, Aug 2, 2004.

1. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Are you aware of the two states that currently use this "proportionate" electoral vote system according to the popular vote in each of those states?

Nebraska and Maine use a system similar to what you seem to favor. Read up on their systems.... Talk about complicated!

Tell me if this is correct. You want to see a very simplified system where if the following occurs:

- a state has 10 electoral votes
    - 1,000,000 people vote
    - 400,000 vote democrat
    - 400,000 vote republican
    - 200,000 vote independent candidate

Then 4 delegates vote for the democrat, 4 delegates vote for the republican, and the remaining 2 vote for the independent?

By the way, what if 475,000 people voted for the democrat? Do we split one of the delegates into pieces and cast their .75 and .25 votes accordingly? :rofl:

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

heres your proof
    http://www.pstripes.com/ed112200c.html

http://www.pstripes.com/dec00/ed120100h.html

No system is perfect but our system today is better than anything else out
    there.

3. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

Here is the easiest way, count the votes of the people. I said if the system has to stay in place, the best way to do it is proportionalize the votes. We're talking computers here not human math so it wouldn't be that complicated. The problems in FLA had nothing to do with the proportionalizing of electoral votes.

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

The problems in Louisiana had nothing to do with the proportionalizing of electoral votes.

You talk about 30 to 40% in Louisiana while forgetting the problems in Florida.
    Last I heard this was a national election

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

i am not sure if he is. i have always been against the electoral college, and most people i have discussed it with have been pretty receptive to killing it. it just doesnt seem to happen because nobody really thinks about it until something huge happens, then they kinda assume it wont happen again.

once when i was a political science student at LSU, i went to see ross perot speak at the union. he proposed killing the electoral college, and got huge applause. of course i dunno how much the general public supports that idea, but for all i know it is alot.

i think the electoral college has outlived its usefullness.

6. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

Hey SabanFan, is there some kind of rule that you have be a dick in every post regardless of which forum your in?

Look at the first line in my post. How would that imply that I don't know about the electoral college?

In the second line, I mentioned "swing" states that carry large amounts of electoral votes. Clearly, I understand the electoral college. So what exactly must I deal with?

I'm guessing you're a devoted follower of Sean Hannity, because your posts are filled with belittlement, name-calling, hyperbole and inflammatory statements.

Gore was VP for 8 years. How many of us were wearing turbans during that time period? ANYONE would've attacked Afghanistan after 9/11. Nader would've done that. The notion that the world would've ended had Gore won in 2000 is simply retarded.

7. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Founding Member

In general, in everyday life, I see far fewer conservatives bitching about the status quo than I do liberals. Just seems to be the nature of the beast.